Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can you get over the stomach flu without vomiting?  (Read 197 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can you get over the stomach flu without vomiting?
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »
I woke up with horrible nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhea.  I took zofran, because I was hoping to get some sleep (not happening anyway, joke's on me, argh), and now I'm wondering if it would be better to avoid that.  Will vomiting get rid of the bug faster?  This isn't IBS, this is definitely stomach flu diarrhea and cramps.  I have something I'm really looking forward to on Saturday, and I'd like to be over it by then.  I'm willing to confront my emetophobia if it means I'll get well faster.  Figured I'd ask here since I know a lot of you share that phobia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Artman9865

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can you get over the stomach flu without vomiting?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
You sure can i know a few times I got the flu and never vomited I felt like I wwas gonna but didn't 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:17 AM »
Thanks, good to know.  I REALLY hope this goes away, because I am not missing the play I'm going to Saturday if I have to wear a diaper :P  Thinking back I did once have something that seemed like a stomach flu that was just diarrhea but it lasted for a week...hope that's not what I've got this time!  My girlfriend had the stomach flu last week and it only lasted two days...hoping I have the same bug (though I didn't get it from her, as she pointed out, it only takes a few days to incubate, so I can stop blaming her  :laugh3: )
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:45:30 AM »
You are confusing a flu with a virus (a flu is a very bad upper respiratory illness that will last about 2 weeks, a stomach or intestinal virus won't last NEAR that long - which means you'll probably be fine by Saturday.)    Some bugs attack the stomach which will make you puke because the lining is irritated, but some attack the intestines.   Puking won't make intestinal viruses better because it's not the stomach walls making you sick, it's the intestinal walls. Try to stick with the BRAT diet a few days to calm those walls down (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast)
(and yes you will get nauseated with diarrhea if you are getting cramps because everything is going into spasms.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:27 AM »
A few weeks ago I woke up with cramps and diarrhea and knew I was coming down with something. I was pretty nauseous most of the day too but because I have emetophobia I did not want to throw up.

Fast forward to the afternoon, my stomach was spasming so bad and the diarrhea was just water, I ended up throwing up and after that, I was fine. My stomach calmed down, the diarrhea stopped, etc.

So in my case, throwing up did help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
I don't think it matters either way.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
I already feel a lot better, after some of the most ridiculous diarrhea in recent memory, so hopefully it's on its way out already.  Thanks for the input, all! 

The annoying thing is I know vomiting isn't ever as bad as I fear it will be (except it always ends up backing up my nose and then I smell it for hours), and yet...can't let myself do it, ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
Sounds like you and I are suffering exactly the same thing! I drank some peppermint tea and the nausea has gone down enough for me to be able to eat. My stomach hasn't hurt too bad but there was some cramping earlier, and an increased need to pee (as well as some bowel rumblings :( ). I hope you enjoy your outing on Saturday!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: