Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Progress Report  (Read 130 times)

Offline oooyay

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Progress Report
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:04 AM »
I made a post here about a month ago detailing my inability to get out of the house. I solicited for advice about getting out of the house and coping with any sort of anxiety issues that I may be confronted with. So far I've made some progress and I have found a medicine that may work for me. 

I've gone out for drives with others and still had some anxiety, but not near as much as I had about a month ago. A month ago I would get so much anxiety that I would eventually vomit or gag and my mind would be incredibly preoccupied with myself. However, ever since then I've been slowly pressuring myself to go out more and more often. At first I was really scared of the anxiety, but I realized the longer I actually toughed it out the less severe the symptoms were. I went from gagging in my mouth constantly to actually being able to have a casual conversation with a friend. So this kind of "exposure therapy" has somewhat worked for me and reduced my symptoms overtime in my opinion.

Coupled with exposure therapy, I have also started another medicine called Viibryd. I am currently on my 3rd week of Viibryd and I have moved up to the max dose of 40mg. Viibyrd was rough at first with the nausea and insomnia, but I have seen some nice progress in terms of coping inside my own home with the mild anxiety and anticipatory anxiety that I would experience at times. The unusual thoughts and the derealization that I once had have been reduced greatly, but I do experience them from time to time still.

In the past week, I've also started an exercise regiment that has bolstered my progress in my opinion. It's very small at the moment, the regiment consists of 2 mile walks on the treadmill at home and I will eventually couple this with exposure therapy by slowly reintroducing myself to walking around the neighborhood outside.

All in all, I feel that I've made some nice progress, but I'm still not exactly where I want to be. I still need to go back to CBT therapy, and I'm still awaiting whether or not this medicine will work out for me in the long run. I've been mindful of my thoughts and I've also been openly distracting myself whenever "what if" or unusual thoughts pop into my head. I'm on the right track, but I'm not quite out of the forest yet. I do deeply appreciate the advice I've received thus far and I've taken most of the advice I've received and put it into practice as you can see.

Any more advice or tips that anyone can offer to me that I'm not already practicing would be very much appreciated!  :happy0151:
Thank you

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Progress Report
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:17 AM »
To be honest we can't ask for anything more. We reply to posts and it is up to that person to take the next steps. This you have done. Never be afraid to reward yourself for the good work you have done. I am not saying anything over the top. Just small rewards for progress made. A lot of people never do this. Like it is a big sin to reward themselves. It is a way of saying well done to yourself and it allowed. Just keep up the good work. A few minutes outside each day is better than not going out at all. The more you do go out the easier it does become.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »
Congatulatiions on your progress!  I, too, am making a little progress each day, exercising, getting out with friends, doing my breathing exercises, playing golf and trying to be mindful.  It is up to us, and we can do it.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »