Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: HIV Fears, I think I'm nuts...  (Read 326 times)

Offline Soosky

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
HIV Fears, I think I'm nuts...
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
I'll make it brief. I was in Mexico three weeks ago and ended up being hospitalized one night because I was too dehydrated and was feeling terrible. Anyway, while I was there they gave me one liter of Normal Saline (in new bags) and 10 mg of Diazepam (didn't see where they got it) by using NEW needles each time they placed an IV. Today ( 3 weeks later) I feel a bit under the weather, some abdominal cramps and nausea (some kids I live with have had the stomach flu recently) and I feel like I could have gotten HIV in Mexico. Is it possible that the normal saline or diazepam was contaminated with HIV? What if the doctor contaminated my meds or saline beforehand because he hates americans? I know it sounds crazy but since it was Mexico I worry.  Thanks...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HIV Fears, I think I'm nuts...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
I know it sounds crazy but since it was Mexico I worry.

Their water gives you diarrhea, not AIDS.  :P

You can't get HIV that way, and you have a perfectly reasonable reason to think you have the stomach flu. 

Anxiety at work, my friend.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
First of all HIV causes no symptoms, HIV is the virus that will eventually cause AIDS, but that wouldn't happen for 10 or more years if EVER.  And secondly no, the medications wouldn't be contaminated, only the needles and they used NEW ones, so sounds like there's no chance of that.  You probably have a touch of the bug the kids have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PainIsAnIllusion

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
I'd say the chances of them pumpin HIV into you or giving you a bum needle are slim to none bud. I'd not worry about it... If u wanna get tested in 3 months then do it , but I think ur lookin for leprechauns bro.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soosky

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »
Now I have a sore throat...you still think I'm OK?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soosky

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »
Anyone? Please I'm freaking out
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
Okay, if somehow the HIV fairy infected you - because that is the only way you have HIV; it's simply not waterborne - you wouldn't feel sick yet anyway. 

You should see a doctor all right - about your anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soosky

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
Ok thanks everyone. So you don't think the doctor or the nurse put HIV into my diazepam or normal saline? I've heard stories of people going to Mexico, passing out and getting sticky notes posted on them saying "welcome to the wonderful world of aids bitch"
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »
Urban legend, nothing more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 03:32:02 AM »
I have read stories of people having every single symptom of HIV, putting off getting tested for years because of the fear, and then when they do build up the courage, they dont have HIV, dont sit and worry, go and get a check and put your mind at rest. I think you are fine, infact i would bet on it. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »
Ok thanks everyone. So you don't think the doctor or the nurse put HIV into my diazepam or normal saline? I've heard stories of people going to Mexico, passing out and getting sticky notes posted on them saying "welcome to the wonderful world of aids bitch"

Just ... no. Maybe if you'd gotten a transfusion from blood that was contaminated. Even then, the chances are rare. It's not like Mexico's full of American-hating doctors just waiting to infect hapless patients. Methinks you need to keep taking the diazepam.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
Once again, HIV does not cause ANY symptoms.  HIV is the virus that causes AIDS, AIDS causes the symptoms, and one has to be infected with HIV for 10 to 30 YEARS before any symptoms show up.  ANY symptoms you are getting is NOT from AIDS!   And furthermore you are not infected with HIV in the first place.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soosky

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
Well I know that HIV can cause Primary HIV infection symptoms so I thought my sore throat and body aches could be attributed to that. I did not have a fever, swollen lymph nodes or night sweats. You guys think I'm crazy huh? I mean what are the chances I got some crazy ass doctor just waiting to use his contaminated vials of Diazepam on me, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
They are symptoms of hiv, but i have had those same symptoms many many times and i have had many hiv tests - all negative. Noone on here can reassure you, im in the same position as you thinking i have MS, not even my own doctor can reassure me. The only thing that will put your mind at rest is a HIV test, and if it is positive (which it WON'T be) you can deal with it. And when you get your negative result you can put all of this worry behind you, the chance of you having a crazy doctor who wanted to contaminate you with HIV is... Probably 0%. I have had the hiv fear SO many times, i swear down i know exactly how you are feeling and you know what im saying is right but at the same time that voice in your head is saying 'but what if...'.
Go get the test. You'll be ok you'll see :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: