Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blink rate?  (Read 122 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blink rate?
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
From time to time I notice new symptoms that further convinces me that I suffer from Young onset Parkinson´s disease. The most recent one is my blink rate, which I now constantly monitor.

The conclusion I can reach from my blinking is that I must have Parkinson´s disease, because I rarey (as in 4-5 times/min) blink anymore. I know that the normal blink rate is closer to 20-25 blinks/min so something must be seriously wrong with me. I can´t take this anymore, every day gives me a new set of symptoms to focus on. And every new symptom fits my PD-diagnosis perfectly.

Someone please help me!=/
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blink rate?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
can you not see a doctor rule out parkinsons? or is the disease something that is hard to diagnose? this could possibly be anxiety/ocd. blinking is autonomic. i think thats the correct word. although we can choose to conciously blink but, it is usually someting that we are not aware of. like breathing or heart rate. people with anxiety especially those with health anxiety tend to become focused on things they shouldnt really be aware of. again like breathing, heart rate, blinking, im sure there is more.  its like we become oversensitized to our bodies normal functions. we analyze them to see if they are working correctly for fear something is wrong.
i can tell you from experience if you find a disease like parkinsons, MS, anything really and become fixated on it enough your mind through fear and anxiety can produce symptoms that mimic the disease. anxiety shares many symptoms of organic diseases and that makes it hard to tell the deifference between whats real and whats anxiety. i hope you get some relief soon from your symptoms. best wishes to u
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
can you not see a doctor rule out parkinsons? or is the disease something that is hard to diagnose? this could possibly be anxiety/ocd. blinking is autonomic. i think thats the correct word. although we can choose to conciously blink but, it is usually someting that we are not aware of. like breathing or heart rate. people with anxiety especially those with health anxiety tend to become focused on things they shouldnt really be aware of. again like breathing, heart rate, blinking, im sure there is more.  its like we become oversensitized to our bodies normal functions. we analyze them to see if they are working correctly for fear something is wrong.
i can tell you from experience if you find a disease like parkinsons, MS, anything really and become fixated on it enough your mind through fear and anxiety can produce symptoms that mimic the disease. anxiety shares many symptoms of organic diseases and that makes it hard to tell the deifference between whats real and whats anxiety. i hope you get some relief soon from your symptoms. best wishes to u

Thank you so much for the kind words. I think that you are correct in that anxiety can cause a wide array of different symptoms, and also has a tendency to mimic what we fear the most (in my case PD).

The thing is that I have been in contact with doctors about several (likelly) anxiety related symptoms, but none has ever informed me about anything divergent from normal functions etc. I have been diagnosed with most OCD-types available, but the most intrusive form most be my sensomotoric OCD. That is most likelly the main reason as to why I focus on normal automatic body functions. I was recently in touch with a MD about this issue, and she thought that I (just as you mention) in some ways alter my blink rate by focusing on it so intensly.

She said that my blink rate most likelly will be altered as long as I constantly think about it, and recomended CBT as a way of letting go of my constant monitoring. I think that she is right in that assesment, and hopefully CBT will help=)

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my borderline insane post=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:10 PM »
Not sure if it was you I answered in the other section or is someone having the same issue.  But I told you (them) that I blink about 3 times a minute, there is nothing wrong with your blink rate - 25 times a minute seems REALLY excessive!  I'd worry about blinking like that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
i agree with sunlover. i researched it and it said that a study showed people blink between 2-25 times a minute. people that were focused or concentrating on something were likely to blink less.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Tags: