Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Facial swelling - scared this is a tumour - referred for ultrasound, terrified  (Read 245 times)

Offline Cattia

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
I noticed that my face was swollen on one side about a month ago when I was looking at a photograph of myself. I had a knock to my face a couple of weeks earlier so I wondered if it was due to that. I left it assuming it would go down but it hasn't. I went to the dr yesterday and he has referred me for an urgent ultrasound to rule out anything sinister. Of course I have googled and found lots of stuff about jaw and facial tumours. I am so terrified, I can hardly look at my kids because i am just thinking about dying and leaving them. I have to wait two weeks for the scan then another two for the results, then they still might refer me for further testing. I am beyong scared. I have tmj that is worse on that wide but this swelling is between my jaw and chin so seems a bit low to be tmj related. I just don't know how to carry on while I am waiting for the results. I actually feel so agitated with anxiety that I don't physically know what to do with myself. The Dr couldn't feel anything when he examined me but he said he needs to rule out anything sinister.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It could be from an infection in your lymph nodes. I had this happen and the lymph node was not readily felt like they normally are.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
Anything to do with lymph nodes sounds even more scary! However he did examine my nodes and none of them seemed suspiciousto him. I just don't know what to think. I'm so scared :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well two weeks is not an urgernt appt. maybe today would be urgent but not two weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
Why do you have to wait two weeks for results? 
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
I know exactly what you are going through. I have a scary test on Monday and have 4 young beautiful children. I have convinced I have something terrible for 15 months. My HA and OCD have made my life a living hell for 15 months and now that my sigmoidoscopy is set for Monday I have been in sheer panic. Like almost pshicaly ill. PLEASE I'm beging you don't become what I have. It's not healthy. Try to remain calm and think positive. I have a fear of positive thinking due to my OCD which is unhealthy. Just please remain calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
Thanks so much for the replies. Lindsay, thank you for your honesty and I am so sorry that you're going throuth this too. I think having children makes HA even worse ad they need us so much and the thought of leaving them is the worst pain possible.
I am in the UK so our health care is free but we have to wait for it. I could get seen tomorrow if I paid private but I don't have the cash and it seems stupid to pay hundreds for something I can get for free. However urgent referral time is two weeks, non urgent would be 6-8 weeks.
The standard wait for the report to come back to the GP is ten days to two weeks but I am hoping that if they found something bad they would put it through quicker. I have heard of people being called in within a few days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparx

• Poke This Member
I agree.... if you have to wait two weeks for the appt, it's not an emergency appt.  Believe me, if there's something that they're really worried about, they would have you in for an appt ASAP.  It sounds like the dr is trying to do due diligence to check on you. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
The past few days my ear has started to hurt and now I notice that the lime of my mouth is lower on tye sode with the swelling. When I smile the puffy side looks totally different from the other side. I am beside myself, my anxiety is so so bad over this. I am convinced i am just waiting to hear nad news and I am going to die and leave my beautiful children amd not see them grow up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Go back to the doctor and show him it is getting worse
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
I don't really think it's getting worse I think I am just noticing how bad it is! He's already refereed me for an urgent ultrasound so I don't think he'll be able to do much until the results of that are in. I also was meant to have a CBC done in January and I never had it done so I picked up the forms today, but I am so scared that's going  show cancer as well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: