Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Getting control of intrusive thoughts  (Read 179 times)

Offline Chilly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting control of intrusive thoughts
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »
I first encountered intrusive thoughts last fall. Mine tend to be centered around violence, either towards myself or others. Needless to say, it' has been a terrible several months, but I have slowly been getting better. For instance, the thoughts don't come as often, and when they do, they don't linger as long anymore and they feel less powerful.
The thing I still struggle with is feeling like I need to keep monitoring my thoughts. If an intrusive thought comes, I feel like I have to be on guard so that I don't act on it. It's like I don't trust my own mind enough to let it have these thoughts without my undivided attention and supervision. To put it more simply, I feel like if I don't actively oppose these thoughts, I will somehow think they are ok and act on them (go crazy). It's terrifying when it happens. I'm not violent, and I don't practice self harm, yet I still get these terrible thoughts.
Hopefully that makes sense to someone out there, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions for getting control and learning to trust yourself again? Any success stories on managing these thoughts would be appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting control of intrusive thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:58 AM »
I have similar thoughts. When they come to me I close my eyes a moment and take a breath, then open eyes and move to a different line of thought. The action works like a separator, just letting me remove myself from the immediate thoughts. Sorry, I know this sounds weird, but its hard to describe exactly why it does what it does. But it works for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline algeus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:25:18 AM »
These thoughts are "normal" to people suffering from anxiety.We're anxious,the fear is there and our mind is trying to find some understandable form to present it. So we worry about getting crazy(but we will never do),illness(but we are healthy) etc.
I think it's very important to recognize these thoughts are just a symptom of the anxiety disorder,AND NOTHING MORE.They are disturbing,but harmless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Possum-Pie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
I find that rather than fight them, I let them pass right through and out again.  Like water in a stream, instead of hammering and fighting the rock, it just flows around it and keeps going.  They hold no power over me that way.  The anxiety is still there and persistent, but the thoughts seem much less obtrusive.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: