Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Any chance of Parkinson's??  (Read 207 times)

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Any chance of Parkinson's??
« on: April 16, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »
So, this is a little embarrassing but after finally shaking my stupid MS fears a couple weeks ago, I've now found myself stricken with other fears. Briefly it was ALS, which was easy to shake off due to it's rarity but now comes Parkinson's fear...

Lately I've felt super on edge all the time; lots of muscle tension/soreness, muscle spasms(!!), chest pain, etc. At one point while I was actually in a good mood, I even caught myself drooling a little bit! Very concerning, I couldn't help but google and read about how anxiety and drooling are early symptoms of Parkinson's!! Ugh...

I'm 24 years old and I was on Adderall XR for 5 years, I recently got off of it a couple weeks ago. Heard it could potentially cause Parkinson's!

Now I'm beyond worried... Thoughts? Reassurances? Do you guys experience any of this stuff?! :(
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
Re: Any chance of Parkinson's??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:58:49 AM »
The constant headaches and pressure on my head doesn't help either! I have a pinched nerve in my neck, so they're at least explainable...?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
Please?!? Anybody??  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• »ɗℴ℘∈»
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:21:20 AM »
I'm just going to chime in on the Extended Release Adderall. It is not surprising that you were prescribed this at around 19-20 years old. and even now that you're 24, 5 years may seem like a significant amount of time. I know they are trying to tie in a relation between amphetamines and Parkinson's but the science is just pulling at straws from what I took from some articles.

The problem with Media is that they sell you on two things. Your enertainment level and your fear level. One person eats an avacado and dies from a lightening bolt striking them while walking down the road on a rainy day. Suddenly science will try and determine what the Avacado had to do with it.

I'm not in any way educated with Parkinson's. It is a serious thing that settles on further later on... but take some time, possibly tomorrow, to visit your local college library or library and try and find some good hard copy primary source information on it.

In my personal opinion it seems like an older age thing but again I'm unsure... I know that as the brain begins to age further down life's path if it's a big hit, there will be some symptoms.

Anyways...

If you were prescribed Adderall XR (Which I'm guessing was probably 30mg... 15/mg released at separate times) for a duration of 5 years, it would be in your doctors responsible hands to safely taper you off of it. I would definitely not drop a stimulant point-blank cold turkey my friend. If you recently stopped with it I would go in for a talk with a doctor.

Muscle soreness and spasms and such that you are feeling can all correlate with anxious thoughts of having something that seems like a stone's throw away but in all reality it's not in the realm of reality.

Your body is beginning to acclimate itself to not having that stimulated drive. You're going to feel it, as we all do when coming off of a powerful medication... tapering off of it would be almost manditory. Please go see your doctor or get a hold of him with your concerns or you'll drive yourself into a wall.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:02 AM »
I did taper off of it, I was only regularly taking 10-15 mg once a day for most of the 5 years. I tapered down to 5 mg by the end.

I'm so seriously hoping this severe anxiety and other symptoms are all part of this prolonged dopamine withdrawal....

Thanks for the advice/reassurance, I haven't been this scared before...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:18 AM »
I am currently in the early onset Parkinson's fear as well. I also went from M.S., to ALS, to Parkinson's. I have experienced all the key symptoms of Parkinson's (even the very strange sleeping paterns), but the neurologist did not seem to be to worried. If you are familiar with anxiety, it is much more likely to have caused your trouble. You were probably perfectly healthy before your obsession started. For me I discovered the disease Parkinson's and strated living it. After reading about it I saw every single symptom in myself. Now my obsession is relatively under control, the only thing that keeps bothering me is my sleeping paralysis (which is more likely caused by a chronic lack of sleep). Try not to pay to much attention to your body. Parkinson's is not the worse disease around (Believe me, I have really read it) and the fear is worse than the first 10 years of onset. Besides, a cure is close. By the time you develop real Parkinson's, it is very likely there will be a cure (Believe me, I have also read this). They are currently able to stop the mental impairement of Parkinson's in mice, and the fysical impairement is managable trough exercise and diet. Please stop worrying, the worry is worse than the disease. If you really want certainty, you can ask for a dat-spect scan. This scan shows anomalies in the part of the brain that is effected by Parkinson's.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »
Well now it just feels like I'm hypersalivating. SO odd... I've been battling a bacterial infection (possible Candida, I haven't done any tests because they're so expensive!) for the past 2 months, is it possibly related? That makes me feel a little more at ease.

Wow thanks a lot for that Keyser! I know it isn't worse than ALS, I had that fear briefly and did my research only to find out how rare it really is. Honestly, I know anxiety can cause all sorts of crazy sensations, I've been through anxiety/panic attack hell these past couple months... all sorts of weird symptoms... even before I totally got off Adderall
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:11:16 AM »
You should really read the rest of my posts, they might help. I know exactly what you are going through and this whole fase could in my oppionion definitely have been caused by the infection. I lost confidence in my own body after a disc herniation and a hospitalisation. Nothing really changer after this, but I started to pay obsessive attention to my body. When I first heard about Parkinson's I stared at my right index finger for three days to see if I could notice a tremble, and sure enough, after the frist few hours of obsessing it started :p
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
Yeah I understand that. Ever since I got a H.Pylori infection back in September, I've been uncharacteristically obsessive about my health. I used to be so laid back and now it's like I deal with a new "health crisis" every day. It's exhausting.

Speaking of the hypersalivation, I've been nauseous almost all day. Still suffering from Gastritis, occasional acid reflux and IBS-C. Maybe I made too much of the drooling without considering everything else, I sure hope so...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:31:58 AM »
Your whole nervous system can become effected by anxiety and stress. Everthing, even your swallowing, can temporarily become slower in functioning. Stress and anxiety effects allmost the same parts of the brain as Parkinson's does. That's why the symptoms can be very similar. Circumstances like anxiety can than make your neurologist deside wether it is Parkinson's or not. Parkinson's only occurs in 1 in every 100 people. At my age it only occurs in 1 in 20.000 people. Anxiety will definitely cause physical symptoms compairable to Parkinson's. So when I am anxious, the chance of the anxiety causing all of these symptoms will probably be 1 in 4 (1 in 4 people will experience the physical symptoms you do), whilst the chance that Parkinson's is the perpetrator will be 1 in 20.000. It will be even more like that anxiety is causing all this, when the symptoms started after you were anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: