Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Head injury  (Read 157 times)

Offline hiswaywardgirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Head injury
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
I work at a school, and today I banged my head on a metal pencil sharpener (the old school kind where you turn the handle) while standing up, and it really hurts. I felt a bit "off" at first, but was able to drive my car shortly after it happened, talked to some people, and did normal things. It's been a few hours, and I have a throbbing headache that gets worse when I move around. The place that got hit doesn't hurt that much when I touch it, but it feels like there's a small lump.

I'm also extremely tired, but it's probably because I had a stressful day at work. I REALLY want to take a nap... but I'm nervous...

This is probably stupidly irrational, but... I'm freaking out. :\
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Re: Head injury
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Hey I hear ya. Take it from a guy who's had many concussions. Now there's a chance you COULD maybe have a minor one, which isn't a big deal. The first 24 hours is the danger zone, if nothing happens outside of that you'll be fine. Have someone maybe wake you once or twice during the night and ask you your name, if you know where you are. That's assuming there's someone that is living with you. That's only if you wanted to be super cautious about it.

If you have any dizziness or feel light headed I would suggest getting checked out by a doctor immediately however. They can rule out any really bad damage. You didn't mention vomiting so that is more evidence that even if you do have a concussion, it is most likely minor. However if you are dizzy or feel off, it would be best to go to a doctor. I've had about 7 concucussions in my life time though and survived them all easily without any assistance, but with head injurys you just want to make sure you're not becoming disoriented.

If you're really spun i'd get checked out, otherwise just have someone call you a couple of times tonight.

Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline hiswaywardgirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Head injury
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Thank you!! That's really helpful. My boyfriend could wake me up, but he'd probably think I was crazy (if he doesn't already). I'm just gonna tell myself that the symptoms aren't that bad... no vomiting or lightheadedness. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: