Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Fetzima?  (Read 960 times)

Offline lamorrow

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Silly
    Silly
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone tried Fetzima?
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
My doctor is taking me off of Zoloft and putting me on a new AD called Fetzima. It is an SNRI, and is supposed to have no effect on libido (which is why I'm coming off of Zoloft. I have the libido of a cinder block  :() I was wondering if anyone has tried this medication yet, or if they know anyone that's on it. From what I understand, it has only been around a few months, so I'm feeling a bit like a guinea pig here...
Bookmark and Share
Donít keep endlessly looking for a cure to your anxiety. Create one by no longer letting it rule what you do and donít do.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone tried Fetzima?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
It is an SNRI, and is supposed to have no effect on libido

The makers of every antidepressant since the first one have claimed that theirs has less effect on the libido than all the previous ones. With the exception of Wellbutrin (bupropion), Remeron (mirtazapine) and trazodone (Desyrel) is has been male bovine manure.

so I'm feeling a bit like a guinea pig here

Unfortunately, you are, at least on this. There isn't enough feedback so far to draw any conclusions on how Fetzima will affect the libido. My gut feeling is that it won't be much better than the other SNRIs and SSRIs. But I could be wrong. As an antidepressant it seems to be pretty good.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline lamorrow

Silly
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the response, Insights! I have been on it for about a week, so figured I would give an update.
First of all, I am feeling more and more out of it each day. Today I had a conversation with my boss, and he asked me a question about something I said. I had to ask him what we had been talking about. Seriously, whole conversation, gone from my memory. I have also had some nausea off and on and super tired. I don't know if I am having these symptoms because I stopped the Zoloft, or because of the new med. Probably a combination of both.
The thing that's keeping me going with the med is that I am starting to actually have some sexual thoughts and feelings. Again, this could be because I stopped the zoloft. I guess time will tell. I will give another update after I have been on it for a couple more weeks.
Bookmark and Share
Donít keep endlessly looking for a cure to your anxiety. Create one by no longer letting it rule what you do and donít do.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
I will give another update after I have been on it for a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the input. There isn't much feedback online from patients yet, though I expect it will prove to be much the same as the parent compound milnacipran (Savella).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LondonJulz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
My husband has been on Fetzima since January.  It seemed to kick in really quick in helping his depression.  However (now looking back) I think it made him more on edge.  And now, almost 4 weeks ago, he started having debilitating panic attacks and crushing chest pains.  His PCP lowered his dosage of Fetzima and after 2 days on the lower dose, the crushing chest pains stopped.  But after a couple of days he had another panic attack (with no chest pains this time) and his doctor upped his dose again....and the chest pains are back.  I wholeheartedly believe that the Fetzima has contributed to his panic attacks and I am hoping that they'll try putting him on something different.  Like you, I feel like he's been a guinea pig.  Fetzima hasn't been around long enough to really have a good read on it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Keep us posted on the Fetzima.  I laughed when I read your post about spacing out while speaking with your boss (I know its not funny but its better to laugh than be scared by that) - I have been there (not on Fetzima but while trying out other ADs).  My favorite come back is "I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought, could you go back to XXX" -- that is a "strategy" for when the space outs hit you.  I also write a lot of things down at work and set reminders on my computer.  I try to not let start up symptoms scare me away from a drug that might help me - but of course within reason!  Be careful driving  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline lamorrow

Silly
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
Figured I would give another update since I have been on Fetzima a little over 3 weeks now. Good news, I have a sex life! Also good news, the nausea, fatigue, and fogginess have disappeared. However, I hardly have an appetite. Nothing tastes that good to me. When I was on Zoloft, each meal was the most delicious one I had ever eaten, and I would eat until the meal was gone, as if my "full meter" was broken. Now, I will take three bites and just feel like, "Meh, over this." I've also found that I am more averse to certain textures. I want drier, crunchier foods. I used to be addicted to sushi, but now I can't even make it through one tiny piece without losing my appetite. While I don't care to be a bottomless pit again, I certainly want to enjoy my meals. Hopefully after a few more weeks, my appetite will come back. Overall, still pleased with this med.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
Hopefully after a few more weeks, my appetite will come back.

It should do.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luxdei

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
This is my second week on fetzima. It is kind of hard to say if it is super helping at the moment. I am coming off of lexapro and honestly have been a mess since Effexor stopped working. I have been feeling the nausea a lot but I am hoping it will steadily continue to disappear.

My moods have been so changeable but that was already a problem. I so want to be sure to give the medicine the benefit of the doubt, but, boy has it been an extremely stressful time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lamorrow

Silly
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that! Startups suck so bad. It honestly took MONTHS before I was past all the really crappy side effects of Zoloft, but I still think it was worth it. I guess I'm the type that would take physical ailments over the anxiety and depression any day. Hopefully you will start to see the benefits in a couple of weeks!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Fetzima 

anything