Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: OCD and fear of jinxing  (Read 220 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
OCD and fear of jinxing
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
Hello. I'm a 26 (27 next month) month of 4 who has been suffering from health anxiety and OCD since I was 12. I have had constant fears and irrational thinking about my health and developing the "c" word. I can't even day this word in total fear of jinx. I have a Procedure Monday (flex sig scope) and I'm absolutely terrified to think positive about this procedure. Positive thinking = jinx in my head. I fear thinking positive will doom the outcome and I will hear I have the "c" word. I have also had periods of where I have to wear my wedding ring to bed or I will die in my sleeping. Same with praying for bed. I have since over come those but my health anxiety is spiraling out of control with my fear if the c word.
Does anyone else struggle with the thought if jinxing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IWantToBeFearless

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD and fear of jinxing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
Hi there,
I struggled with this for a very long time. It's a form of control. We believe that if we can't fully control the future, we are bound to fail. So, naturally, we try to come up with ways to alter the outcome.

Reality is, we can't foresee the future. And that is very scary. The thing is, your thoughts have absolutely no control over good or bad things happening. In fact, if you can learn to accept thoughts as passing images and view your brain as a complex organ, you begin to feel less freaked out. Your brain isn't magic. It can't conquer up some evil or disaster in your life.

It may take awhile to overcome these mental rituals. My suggestion is to slowly begin to allow thoughts to be there and not give them any power. Don't view them as jinxes. Even if ever one of your fears came to life, it would not be because you thought positive or negative about it.

Hope that helps. X
Bookmark and Share

Tags: