Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worrying and Eye issues  (Read 173 times)

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worrying and Eye issues
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
So I have had this health anxiety now since October of 2013. Started as a worry about MS when I started having leg cramps, tingling, spasms, tremores etc....had an MRI and neuro tests and all came back clear.

I finally got that to go away and I started to check my vision. I think this was due to me reading that MS and eye issues were common. I can't recall now. I started to feel like my vision was off. This led to me checking my eyes constantly. So I went to a Optometrist and an Opthamologist and both said my eyes were fine. I had been worrying so badly that I would never see right again I developed panic attacks.

I went to a therapist which seemed to help and things got better. My GP said meds will only make me worse since I am adverse to drugs so I was able to get back to 95% normal now. No panic attacks, sleeping all night again, doing all my normal daily things for the last 3 months. Was a pretty dark Nov. and December.

So now I have developed these little black eye floaters and I still feel like when I wear my contacts things are brighter and my temples start to hurt. My eye docs say my vision is 20/20 and fine. I can stop and look into a light bulb and no sharp pains happen so I think I have conditioned my mind to think that my eyes are off somehow and that sunlight makes them worse. I think maybe I start to tense and thats why my temples hurt?

Has anyone else had similiar issues with their eyes and constantly checked them to the point you made them hurt? All docs seem to think I am ok but to me something feels off. Could it just be the constant checking?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worrying and Eye issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
In M.S. the immune system attacks your nerves. Your eye nerve is one of the most sensitive nerves and it tends to become effected first bij M.S. Your eye has actually three functions. It has to focus the lense, move your eye and dilate your pupil. When the nerve is effected by your immune system attacking it, all these functions will become impaired. Your neurologist can check your pupil response and eye movement very fast with a simple flashlight and a simple test to see if your eye is following his movement. I was hospitalized with similar symptoms as yours three months ago. I also had a bad eye for monthts, but it all turned out to be nothing. The neuro actually believed I had something and mention M.S. himself. Four days later I walked out the door as a healthy man, after two mri's and an eye nerve test.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
So do you feel that anxiety and stress cuased your issues? Did they go away once you were cleared by the tests and doctors?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
I have definitely had floaters and black spots caused by anxiety.  Very common.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
Because I did not become calm right after the hospitilization the symptoms did not disappear immediately, they even became worse, because in my head I still could not accept it was just anxiety. I spent four days in hospital with way to much time on my hands to worry. I did not shut this off once I walked out the door. I have had periods of being symptom free, but with the slightest worry, they come back again. The most important part is accepting they are there. As long as they do not become worse, there is nothing to worry about. I have experienced all the symptoms you have mentioned and even more in a time span of just a few months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
Its funny...the somatic pain that they do cause it light compared with the real pain some people feel. I get slight pressure on my temples and my wife gets real full blown migraines and seems to handle them better than I do my little pain.

My OCD and obsession with feeling perfect holds me back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
The fear is worse than the symptoms. It is not your blurry eye that is ruining your day, it is your mindset about it. Four months ago i noticed I developed a l3 l4 herniated disc. I did not even have to go to the neuro for it because it was that clear. I felt really down about the thought that it would ruin my sports routine. It can cause intense physical pain, but the other worries I have about my health completely dull that. I sometimes hardly even notice it is there, just because i am paying much more attention to other "potential troubles". Feering something is a lot worse than actually having something. The herniated disc does not even get 5% attention at the moment, whilst it possessed my complete day when I first noticed it, but did not have M.S. in my mind.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: