Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Someone help :( als tongue fears!  (Read 794 times)

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Someone help :( als tongue fears!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
So you think you have rarest form of very rare disease which is even more rarely seen in young people. Also, it is extremely fast progressing disease.

I would believe more if you have said that you are alien than that you have bulbar als.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »
Ah I know I know, it's the horror stories you hear of young people getting it (although extremely extremely rare)
Plus, I'm not rational enough to start fearing diseases that are more likely, I seem to go from one extreme to the other ... Lymphoma to Brain tumour to als!
Nothing about this obsession makes sense to me either x
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
Ah thank you to you all for replying, reading what you have all written has at least calmed me down for now.
It's weird because the rational part of me already knows what you are all saying however the other part of me just thinks 'what if' and for some reason I have the need to prove something is wrong.
The other week I forgot about als and then was convinced I had a brain tumour also :( it's my other biggest fear so in my head I was like 'well now it all makes sense, a brain tumour is causing this'
Your all right, I can do all them little self tests, I don't have any trouble with tongue movement apart from my speech seeming slurred to me but not anyone else! But for some reason I can't stop staring into my mouth, it's got to the point where at work I'm even sneaking off to the toilets to look in the mirror to check for twitches :(
I think I do need to do what you lot said and realise how fast bulbar progresses so if I did have it I would have more signs by now:
I have had a look at bfs before, but with the tongue a lot of people say they can feel there twitches? I can't for some reason which makes me worry more about als :(

I know I'm being ridiculous keep even investigating it myself and that I should believe the ent doctor,  it's not that I think I know more it's just I always worry they haven't listened properly! I know the other sensations like lump in throat and stuff is linked to anxiety, but put it all together and you've got a very anxious girl here!

It's because you are seeing normal movements of the tongue...not twitches.  You can try to rest the tongue inside your mouth...and with the slightest and I mean the slightest movement a part of the tongue moves...looking like a twitch.  I would highly doubt what you are looking at is a fasic of the tongue. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Mookie15

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
I am having the same symptoms. Slurring of speech, although every one around says no, and muscle twitches everywhere all over my body.  Like popcorn popping.  No weakness.  Few cramps here and there but that's it. I have 3 children all under 8 and for the last 5 months my fear of *** has consumed me.  Every waking moment of every waking day I obsess about it.  Test my strength, walk only toes, heels, do push ups, read from a book and record myself.  You name it, I've done it.

I'm in same boat as you and don't know how to get out of the cycle.  Met with my psychiatrist today and they upped my lexipro to 20mg.  Said I'll feel much better in 30 days.  Don't know that I have antihero miserable 30 days left in me. 

I have read all the posts in this thread and it has made me feel a bit better, with the exception of the twitiching. It just won't stop.  Gonna try the lexapro and see how it goes. 

I'm 43 make btw.   No weakness whatsoever. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
I am having the same symptoms. Slurring of speech, although every one around says no, and muscle twitches everywhere all over my body.  Like popcorn popping.  No weakness.  Few cramps here and there but that's it. I have 3 children all under 8 and for the last 5 months my fear of *** has consumed me.  Every waking moment of every waking day I obsess about it.  Test my strength, walk only toes, heels, do push ups, read from a book and record myself.  You name it, I've done it.

I'm in same boat as you and don't know how to get out of the cycle.  Met with my psychiatrist today and they upped my lexipro to 20mg.  Said I'll feel much better in 30 days.  Don't know that I have antihero miserable 30 days left in me. 

I have read all the posts in this thread and it has made me feel a bit better, with the exception of the twitiching. It just won't stop.  Gonna try the lexapro and see how it goes. 

I'm 43 make btw.   No weakness whatsoever.

If you can do the things that I listed above, then your "slurring" isn't caused by ***.  A good neurologist wouldn't even do an EMG on you unless you have failed that test.  Not to mention 8 months of symptoms?  How long have you noticed speech issues?  Everyone means something different when they say slurring...but *** slurring sounds like you are drunk and trust me people notice that.  I don't know if you have been to Benign fasciculation syndrome forums but it might benefit you to read the posts there...specifically the stickies.

Problems with speech are common with anxiety for a variety of reasons one is a dry mouth...second is hyperawareness causing you to stumble...taking something automatic and complicating it by analysis, another is mouth tension...not to mention self testing of the mouth that can make it all worse.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Mookie15

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
Thank you Shawn. 

Yes I have been to bfs.  It seems that is consistent with what I am experiencing, however, you know how we anxiety sufferers are.  It's always the worst. I saw my psychiatrist today and he advised the same thing.  Speech sounded fine. Anxiety can cause all those things you mentioned.  I can't wait for the day to be myself again and enjoy my family.  Have to try and get busy living but that is easier said than done.

Appreciate your time in answering my post. God Bless. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »
Thank you Shawn. 

Yes I have been to bfs.  It seems that is consistent with what I am experiencing, however, you know how we anxiety sufferers are.  It's always the worst. I saw my psychiatrist today and he advised the same thing.  Speech sounded fine. Anxiety can cause all those things you mentioned.  I can't wait for the day to be myself again and enjoy my family.  Have to try and get busy living but that is easier said than done.

Appreciate your time in answering my post. God Bless.

God bless you Mookie.  I do understand.  It's a battle everyday even with some tools and knowledge.  I have battled with all these fears and still do to some extent on bad days.  I too am affected by the speech issues.  I tell myself the things I tell others and I try to reason through it.  I know my body makes things up...my mind misinterprets them.  I cling to my faith and hope this pain is temporary, growing me rather than breaking me.  I experience everything you are experiencing...and I read stories of many others.  We are not alone and in that we can take some solace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
You lot are amazing. Honestly :)
I love reading all your responses when I'm feeling like I need reassurance, it's such a strange thing, everyone's symptoms feel so so real it's amazing what our minds can do really.
My speach problems and twitching came after I researched to much! It's made me overly conscious of every single natural body function, my mum told me I've always had a slight lisp and that I sound no different yet I feel like I can hear it's really bad and slurred, I have a feeling it's all in my mind but anxiety loves to make you doubt everything.
I now have a routine eye test tomorrow and I'm now panicking that there going to find a brain tumour, so irrational I know :( 
I feel like a mad women
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
You lot are amazing. Honestly :)
I love reading all your responses when I'm feeling like I need reassurance, it's such a strange thing, everyone's symptoms feel so so real it's amazing what our minds can do really.
My speach problems and twitching came after I researched to much! It's made me overly conscious of every single natural body function, my mum told me I've always had a slight lisp and that I sound no different yet I feel like I can hear it's really bad and slurred, I have a feeling it's all in my mind but anxiety loves to make you doubt everything.
I now have a routine eye test tomorrow and I'm now panicking that there going to find a brain tumour, so irrational I know :( 
I feel like a mad women

My speech issues also came after reading too much.  My whole body twitches came after reading too much.  My weakness came after reading too much.  Our minds are very powerful.
Bookmark and Share