Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I think I need to go to the ER.  (Read 429 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
I think I need to go to the ER.
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
I can't stop bawling over my sigmoidoscopy on Monday. I have cried all day long. I'm a wreck. I can't eat anything, I can't even drink water. I'm debating in calling my husband and letting him know how I am feeling and going to the ER and asking for ct can of my liver and bowel. I don't think I can't wait until Monday. I'm mentally unstable. I have an appt with a new GP at noon. I'm just so nervous because I have never been to him before. He is a gp not Therapist. I need relief from this anxiety that's consuming me about this scope test. I'm having mental images of her telling me bad news. I can't do this until Monday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I need to go to the ER.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
Oh Lindsay, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time!  :(

Are you having any symptoms that would indicate problems with your liver and bowels? An ER won't just give you a CT scan if you ask for one. You need to have legitimate and/or life-or-death reasons. I remember, back when I was running to the ER for things, there was a woman there who (sounded like) she had very legitimate concerns over her appendix, but the doctor was even debating with her whether or not she should get a scan. They're not going to have you get blasted with radiation unnecessarily.

Wait until your GP appointment. Tell him what's going on with your anxiety. Even if he's not a therapist, he can help you get started by referring you to one or prescribing some kind of short-term medication that can help calm you down a bit. My GP was the one who prescribed me Xanax, and it scared the crap out of me to take it at first, but I'm glad I did, because it did calm me down and helped me see that what I was dealing with was anxiety-based and not some organic disorder.

Also, I think you've mentioned the fact that no one knows about your anxiety—do you think there's someone you can tell or talk to about it? If you're going to treat this thing, you're going to need support beyond that of what this web board can give you.

Again, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Stay strong—this will eventually get better.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »
I'm so sorry you're having such extreme mental anguish over this.  Try to find the strength to hold on until your 12:00 appointment with your new GP.  I know it's your first appointment and you're probably worried about annoying him, but please lay everything out for him, including how scared you are and how certain you are it's going to be bad news.  It is very possible he could prescribe something short-term to take the edge off and help you get through Monday.  If you go to the ER, they may not be able to perform the tests you want and certainly not in a timely manner.  Better to see your GP than to sit for hours in an ER waiting room on the edge of panic the whole time.  Good luck to you today.  I do understand.  I have a brain CT on Friday and I am imagining all kinds of bad news.  We can both get through this, though.  ((((hugs))))   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
No I am not having any symtoms of my liver or bowel and my BM was normal today I am just a wreck over this scope. My me tal state isn't good. I feel as though if I explained my concern and symptoms to an ER they would agree to a ct scan. I have great insurance. There is also an urgent care that does ct scan and I have debated on going there too.
I have been on google all morning reading posts that I have read over and over about people in their 20s with CC. What funny is their symptoms were so much worse than mine. I had only ONE yes just ONE symptom if CC but its like this whole year of noticing that one symptom has escalded to a terminal diagnosis. I think it's because I have put this one symptom off for 15 months because it's so mild and 90% of the time my BMs are normal. I am trying I convince mysel she is only scoping (at my request) to rule out mild colitis and view my internal hems to see if I need banding but I'm terrified thinking that way will jinx this situation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time hanging in there.  The wait before a procedure is so often the worst part.  Before my ovarian surgery a few years ago I was practically climbing the walls in panic.  I kept my brain in my head (kinda) by marathoning brainless sitcoms on Netflix.  I'm pretty sure I can recite episodes of iCarly from memory by now.  Silly, yes, but it helped.

They likely won't do anything for you in the ER - they're there to keep you from dying immediately, not making diagnoses like a normal GP.  I hope you're at your appointment right now and getting some help with your anxiety, or at least being given a place to start. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Definitely see the GP and if necessary, take along a printout of what you just wrote.  Most doctors really want to know what's going on, and if you can explain to him/her what you are feeling mentally, it will help them to care for you better.  I know in my case, my doctor actually complimented me for being aware of what I was feeling, because it helped her to help me!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
Saw my GP. Was diagnosised with OCD and extreme anxiety. The OCD is uncontrollable irrational thinking that controls my life. I was prescribed 25mg off Zoloft which I am terrified to take. He gave me a full psyical and we addressed the occasional blood in stool. He advised me to keep my flex sig Monday but really talked to me about common findings in women my age. He said rectal bleeding is a very common complaint in women who have especially delivered a lot of children. He thinks keeping my scope monday will help ease this CC fear but won't take away my anxiety completely, I will find something else to obsess about which I why he gave me Zoflot. This whole CC fear is a really a spin off of pancreatic cancer I was sure I had last year.
I faced my first fear and did a full blood work panel. Those should be ready in a few days. I am still completely terrified of Monday but I'm calmed down a little bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
I'm so glad you kept your appointment!  Your GP sounds like a very good doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
I faced my first fear and did a full blood work panel. Those should be ready in a few days. I am still completely terrified of Monday but I'm calmed down a little bit.

Whenever I get to this point, I take solace in knowing that it's out of my hands, and there's nothing left for me to do.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
Hi, I am glad you went to your GP appointment  :happy0151:  Don't be afraid of taking the Zoloft---I just started Celexa last week, and I am so happy I took that baby step in doing so.  I know it will help me feel better, I hope you find some relief too :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
Glad you kept your dr. appt-he sounds like a good and careing doc who will be willing to help you keep on track.  If the sig comes back clean-maybe a counsler would be of some help with the anxiety issues.  I think its hard for some of us to deal with uncertaintly in life-we like to know whats ahead and be prepared for it.  I know that i dont like uncertiany usually as i get older.(age 65)  I also know that life could be over any time cause im in that age bracket.  It scares me cause theres so much ahead i don't want to miss (daughters med school graduation-her weddding next summer or watching my sons daughter grow up.  I don't want to be cheated out of this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
Hi Lindsay, I'm sorry you've been having such an awful time. I'm glad your GP was understanding and has given you some help. Don't be afraid of the zoloft - give it a chance to do its thing, and you should be able to hang in there until Monday.

But please Lindsay, I am saying this again and I can't emphasise enough how important this is - please, please stop reading up about CC. Stop googling it, stop reading about it. It is NOT helping you, it is feeding your obsessive thoughts which is making you more and more anxious.

Take deep breaths (breathing out for longer than you breathe in), go for a brisk walk, marathon a new show or a movie, read a comfort book, do something, anything to distract yourself. As another poster said above, it's out of your hands - you've booked the test, you've got blood results on the way, and you've done what you had to do. In the meantime, think of it as your job to think about your situation as little as possible. We irrationally believe that thinking obsessively about things gives us some control over the situation, but it doesn't, it'll only eat you up and make you unable to function.

If you really feel you can't eat anything solid, buy some yoghurt and honey and eat that in the meantime. You can do this, hon, we're all behind you.

Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
I'm soooo glad you kept your appointment with the GP.  Please take the Zoloft.  When you get to a therapeutic dose, your life with do a 180.  You'll wake up and realize wow it's been 15 minutes since I obsessed.  It gets longer every day until one day you can actually get through a day without thinking about it. 

I wonder if he would be willing to give you Xanax for the short term.  It would enable you to get through the time between now and the sigmoidoscopy.

My best friend's little brother had CC in his 20s.  There was no doubt.  The symptoms did NOT get better.  He also did NOT have any rectal bleeding.  His was genetic.  Since you don't have genetic component, I would bet $$ that you do NOT have it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
Thanks friends! I think I wil try the Zoflot. My mom was in it for many years for severe HA as general anxiety. She said it was a gret medication but she did have some side effects. My grandmother also sufferers from severe HA and actually obsesss over her stool. She literally gets her stool out of the toilet and goes through it with a knife! I know this HA is genetic. My dad told me  he also had a flex sig done in his 30s for blood in stool. He is 49 now and still has blood on a monthly occasion and absolutely nothing wrong! My mom also had the problem.
Im absolutely terrified if my CBC results but I'm being as patient and calm as I can. I promise no more googling CC. It's not doing a thing for me. When I google I'm a wreck. When I dot google I can go months with our my CC fear flaring up. It truly is a cycle. Although in between cycles I will have another fear such as MS, Brain tumor....
Jut not as severe as this CC fear.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything