Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: At work, in tears  (Read 253 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
At work, in tears
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
I'm at work, and I can't stop crying because I just know that there's something wrong with my heart.  I'm having a really bad achy feeling in my back teeth and elbows.  I can't find anything else that would cause these symptoms to keep happening together.  Yesterday I had a similar episode that lasted an hour but it was only my left jaw and elbow, and it included extreme sweating and nausea.  The same thing happened the day before that.  Every time the pain is more severe.  I wish I could come up with another explanation, but I can't.  Unless somehow it's all in my head.  I realize that's possible, but that's not enough to make me not worry because there's no way to know. 

How do I not react with fear when I have heart attack symptoms?  The buspar is still not doing anything for me at all.  I have a doctors appointment tomorrow with my OB but she'll just tell me it's not my heart because I was tested in the past, but that's not good enough for me.  I'd love to be able to just go to the ER to get checked out, but I'm tired of the bad way they treat me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: At work, in tears
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
Why are you seeing an OB for this? I would recommend that in this case a primary care practitioner and a psychiatrist are the people you need in your corner :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
Because I'm pregnant, so everything goes through my OB first. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
Agree with AM that you need to attend to your anxiety with a psychiatrist. There is much you can also do on your own. Do it for your little one and one on the way. We are always rooting for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
How long ago have you been tested for heart problems? Are you in a high risk demographic? Does your family have a history of heart disease?

Even if it's not your heart causing these symptoms, it doesn't mean that it's "all in your head." Stress and anxiety will cause actual, physical manifestations, including soreness, sweating, and nausea. I'm curious to know why you think that a problem with your heart is the only explanation for what you're feeling—this is very normal HA mindset, by the way. So often we link symptoms together and say, "this has to be the only reason," but oftentimes, it isn't. The mind is very powerful and it can convince us of many things that aren't necessarily true.

I agree with Melody. A PCP and a mental health professional are your best bet for optimal care.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
I'm so sorry. I hope it makes you feel better to know that many of us are sending warm thoughts your way.

If you can get your MD and a psych doctor to work together, it can be very helpful.  We HA's tend to rush to a med doctor, but if that med doctor understands the full load we're carrying, it can result in better overall care.  Together, they can help you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
Unfortunately my insurance is medicaid and it's only for pregnancy so it doesn't cover any sort of mental health.  My heart was tested over 2 years ago with an echocardiogram, and in this past October I had a stress test.  Neither of these made me feel any better because they can both miss things, and a clear test in the past doesn't mean I'm not having a problem now.  There is definite heart disease in my family on both sides.

I think it's my heart because I have many heart related symptoms, including chest pain, shortness of breath, arm pain, elbow pain, back pain, jaw pain, sweating, dizziness....and none of the spots that ever hurt are sore or tender, and one doctor even told me it sounded like referred pain.  I can't find anything else that would refer pain to all of these areas, especially simultaneously.  The jaw and elbow pain ALWAYS comes together.  None of my teeth are sore.  There's no trouble chewing, no pain from eating cold or hot things, no sign of a tooth problem.  None of the muscles around my jaw or neck are sore and there's no tender spots.  Same thing with my elbows.  I have full range of motion,  no trouble lifting anything, and nothing that I can do to make the pain better or worse.  There are also no sore or tender spots anywhere on my back. 

Also, my jaw feels tight and tingly when I exert myself, especially when I lift my 1yr old in his carseat.  I've done a lot of research on TMJ to see if it could explain my symptoms but nothing matches anything close to my symptoms.  Everything talks about trouble chewing and moving the jaw and tender spots.  None of which I have.  And nothing talks about elbows that ache every time the teeth/jaw does. 

I'd love an alternate explanation but even doctors shrug their shoulders and say "I don't know" when I ask about my symptoms.  Its really frustrating and I feel like my doctor keeps blowing me off and ignoring my desperation when I BEG for help. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
Sadly, Lo, no-one can change the circumstances in your life, which might actually stress anyone. A one year old, work, another on the way. Does husband help? Can you try to arrange for some practical help before baby arrives?

The professionals do not know how to help either. They feel helpless. Can you find a little time to meditate? Just a thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
My husband does most of the work around the house, especially with the baby, and I only work 16 hours a week. My stress comes from worrying about my unexplained symptoms. Sometimes the pain is so intense that I have to stop what I'm doing. I have plenty of time to relax but it doesn't help because the pain keeps me from really bring able to relax. It's so scary I just end up crying and half hoping I just die so the pain stops.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
You're caught in the same vicious cycle as a lot of us are. Worrying about symptoms that are caused by worrying about symptoms. It's hard to get out, but you will.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Tags: