Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried my son has autism....  (Read 1257 times)

Offline eva1227

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried my son has autism....
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
My son had a lot of delays. He didn't walk till he was 15-16 months old. he didn't even sit up till he was almost a year. When he didn't speak by age three more than babbling, we took him to our local school district and they did a load of tests. He was speech delayed. After a few months of speech therapy, we couldn't shut him up. He was in speech therapy through middle school. He's 17 now and about to graduate HS and go off to college.

Some kids just need a little push. Given a little speech therapy, I'm sure you'll won't be able to quiet your son down. Sometimes we are overloaded with too much information. Take him for some speech therapy and you'll notice the difference.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
I have had this worry with both my children and still have it sometimes. Neither have had speech delay but they have other quirks. My son who is almost three is very sensory seeking and I too have wondered about spd with him. My daughter who is four is a very sensitive and rather emotional child and is very afraid of lots of things, particularly loud noises. However both my children are friendly and interactive. I try to be reassured by that, and it sounds as though your son is the same. There are so many scary things out there about autism. If you google it it seems as though pretty much everything is a sign!
Yes. I think my son has sensory seeking tendencies. I also have sensory issues. I was also very hyper as a child. Ran everywhere, climbed things, did dangerous stunts like putting chairs on stairs and going down the stairs, jumping out of high places, etc. Then when I got older I couldn't stand certain textures and noises. I still have a problem with that......

Learning difficulties also run in my boyfriend's family. I have dyscalculia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Autism is nothing to worry about, it's no big deal. I'm on the spectrum myself and I'm into autism self advocacy.

Plenty of neurotypical kids have speech delays. Not speaking much at three isn't common but it's not unheard of.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
Autism is nothing to worry about, it's no big deal. I'm on the spectrum myself and I'm into autism self advocacy.

Plenty of neurotypical kids have speech delays. Not speaking much at three isn't common but it's not unheard of.

I'm sorry, but autism is a big deal. You may be ''high'' on the spectrum but others are not and many autistic people will require substantial care for life.  For the parents who have to deal with this it's a HUGE deal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Ugh. I have been so sick over this.... I can't eat.. I can't sleep unless I have spent hours on Google.... I've lost 10 pounds. It's the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning... Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thinking of it...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »

I'm sorry, but autism is a big deal. You may be ''high'' on the spectrum but others are not and many autistic people will require substantial care for life.  For the parents who have to deal with this it's a HUGE deal.

I don't acknowledge the 'functioning' labels but.. Is autism a deal? Sure. Is it a major, super awful deal? Not terribly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/how-young-can-a-child-be-accurately-diagnosed-with-autism/360482/

Hopefully it will let me post this link, which i found helpful. I understand, I have been the same way over tjis issue too. Feel free to PM me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
Did anyone's speech delayed child also scream a lot? I mean not like when they were upset,.... just randomly scream while playing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »

Is it a major, super awful deal? Not terribly.

Go tell that to the parents who went bankrupt because one of them had to quit their job to take care of their childs needs. Or the family that lost their house because the working parent doesn't make enough money to pay all the bills and medical treatments alone. Or the parents who are in their 70's and still have to care for an ''infant'' and now have to worry who will care for their child when they die...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
My son doesn't scream but he makes all kinds of weird noises. He constantly hums, sings, swishes saliva around in his mouth, clicks, you name it, the child is never silent! With him I also think this is a sensory thing. However despite my paranoia and fear about this it's hard for me to logically believe he is autistic since he has advanced speech, incredible imaginary play and is always in the thick of group game with other kids. I think that toddlers are weird in so many ways that they ALL display red flags. I took my son to the health visitor at 18 months because he had delayed fine motor skils and didn't point with his index finger. She wasn't worried. He points all the time now! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
Yes my son does things that make me believe for that moment he doesn't have autism. He waves he points, he can tell if you are angry or happy or sad gets scared if you are scared, returns smiles, high fives, is very affectionate, has eye contact, responds to his name, imitates, etc.

These used to reassure me but now instead of being reassured, I worry he is mentally handicapped.... But then again he knows what things are for and stuff. Once I put some candy on a high shelf so he couldn't get to it. He grabbed a crutch I has leaning against the wall and used it as a ladder.

Sometimes I worry that some of his behaviours are due to an untreated speech delay.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
Did anyone's speech delayed child also scream a lot? I mean not like when they were upset,.... just randomly scream while playing?

Every, and I mean EVERY child screams when they play randomly. Lots of kids dont talk for a while. The doctor saying they need to be saying "Mom, I would like a new toy now please." Is the problem that parents get freaked out. The doctor told me at 18 months my child should be saying 20-30 words. Every child learns at their own pace. Not sure why you think your child is mentally handicapped. I have worked with handicap and non handicap children and kids with autism. I can positivly say that your child is 99.99999999% normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
Another possible reason for speech delay is if the child is growing up in a multilingual household. As you haven't mentioned this I assume that there is only one language spoken in your house, but in case anyone else is having this issue it may be relevant to them to know this (and of course, not all multilingual children have speech delays). A woman I knew spoke both Hungarian and English to her son. Until about three he understood both languages, but spoke neither. At three and a half she knew he'd have to start pre-school within a few short months, and that he needed to be able to talk in time. So she decided to drop Hungarian and use only English instead. By the time he went to pre-school he was talking very normally (unfortunately he has forgotten Hungarian!).

When I was around 10 my English teacher told our class that she had had a speech delay - she said not a word until she was around two and a half. It's more common than you'd think.

The important thing is to make sure you speak to your child regularly, even if they don't respond. Point things out, describe them, get them interested. Face to face talking is apparently best. Talk to your doctor as I can see you are deeply concerned, but don't jump to conclusions - and stop googling autism symptoms! It is feeding your fears, it will not help you. Losing weight over such a short period of time is not healthy, and there is probably nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »
Another possible reason for speech delay is if the child is growing up in a multilingual household. As you haven't mentioned this I assume that there is only one language spoken in your house, but in case anyone else is having this issue it may be relevant to them to know this (and of course, not all multilingual children have speech delays). A woman I knew spoke both Hungarian and English to her son. Until about three he understood both languages, but spoke neither. At three and a half she knew he'd have to start pre-school within a few short months, and that he needed to be able to talk in time. So she decided to drop Hungarian and use only English instead. By the time he went to pre-school he was talking very normally (unfortunately he has forgotten Hungarian!).

When I was around 10 my English teacher told our class that she had had a speech delay - she said not a word until she was around two and a half. It's more common than you'd think.

The important thing is to make sure you speak to your child regularly, even if they don't respond. Point things out, describe them, get them interested. Face to face talking is apparently best. Talk to your doctor as I can see you are deeply concerned, but don't jump to conclusions - and stop googling autism symptoms! It is feeding your fears, it will not help you. Losing weight over such a short period of time is not healthy, and there is probably nothing to worry about.
He is in a bilingual house. Spanish and English....
I was worried that I didn't talk to him enough as a baby. Pointing stuff out etc. I am a naturally quiet person and only recently narrated everything.... I know I didn't talk enough..... That is a fact and I feel guilty.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
Don't feel guilty. It is more likely the bilingual aspect that is prompting the speech delay, which will rectify itself eventually.

In other words, I'm sure this is temporary - even if you didn't talk enough when he was younger (and it's possible you are deeply underestimating yourself on this front), I'm sure there is no permanent damage. You are doing plenty of talking now which will certainly help him in the lead up to speech therapy. Not only that, but growing up with two languages is giving him an amazing head start. Bilingualism opens up awesome experiences in both life and careers. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: