Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried my son has autism....  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried my son has autism....
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
He has not... He can hear at least somewhat.... He can here when he dad opens the door when he gets home... If we yell from another room for him, he comes.... Can hearing loss really go undetected for this long?

I would say it's a possibility. My sister had no idea my nephew couldn't hear clearly. He responded to his name, doors, yelling, etc. But he couldn't hear certain pitches or certain speech sounds. Once he had tubes she couldn't believe how much he reacted and responded to things that she thought he could hear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
He has not... He can hear at least somewhat.... He can here when he dad opens the door when he gets home... If we yell from another room for him, he comes.... Can hearing loss really go undetected for this long?

I would say it's a possibility. My sister had no idea my nephew couldn't hear clearly. He responded to his name, doors, yelling, etc. But he couldn't hear certain pitches or certain speech sounds. Once he had tubes she couldn't believe how much he reacted and responded to things that she thought he could hear.

Thanks. I was a little worried that he couldn't hear at first but I dismissed the idea. He is always congested and breathes through his mouth. I also noticed he always is sticking his finger in his ear. Like its itchy or something. I put it down to allergies....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 28
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
A good friend of mine's son was like that, but he didn't even babble, he just wouldn't talk!  Or he'd say, "NO" or something.  If I talked to him he'd just STARE at me and not respond.  They were from out of state and when they came here I took them to the beach - the kid wouldn't leave the blanket, he got REALLY upset if he got sand on himself, his mother had to take every bit of sand off him (I know autistic children will have a very acute sense of some kind and get upset, I was CONVINCED he was autistic!)   The next year when they came over this kid was a totally normal 4 year old - talking like he should, etc!  Today he is about 17 or 18 - VERY intelligent young man. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
I have had this worry with both my children and still have it sometimes. Neither have had speech delay but they have other quirks. My son who is almost three is very sensory seeking and I too have wondered about spd with him. My daughter who is four is a very sensitive and rather emotional child and is very afraid of lots of things, particularly loud noises. However both my children are friendly and interactive. I try to be reassured by that, and it sounds as though your son is the same. There are so many scary things out there about autism. If you google it it seems as though pretty much everything is a sign!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaRielera

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »
Some kids are just slow. That doesn't mean they're stupid, or autistic, it just means they need more time than average to develop. My kids were both late talks. Other than being slightly behind on reading and writing (I think that goes hand and hand with talking delays), they are completely normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
My son had a lot of delays. He didn't walk till he was 15-16 months old. he didn't even sit up till he was almost a year. When he didn't speak by age three more than babbling, we took him to our local school district and they did a load of tests. He was speech delayed. After a few months of speech therapy, we couldn't shut him up. He was in speech therapy through middle school. He's 17 now and about to graduate HS and go off to college.

Some kids just need a little push. Given a little speech therapy, I'm sure you'll won't be able to quiet your son down. Sometimes we are overloaded with too much information. Take him for some speech therapy and you'll notice the difference.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
I have had this worry with both my children and still have it sometimes. Neither have had speech delay but they have other quirks. My son who is almost three is very sensory seeking and I too have wondered about spd with him. My daughter who is four is a very sensitive and rather emotional child and is very afraid of lots of things, particularly loud noises. However both my children are friendly and interactive. I try to be reassured by that, and it sounds as though your son is the same. There are so many scary things out there about autism. If you google it it seems as though pretty much everything is a sign!
Yes. I think my son has sensory seeking tendencies. I also have sensory issues. I was also very hyper as a child. Ran everywhere, climbed things, did dangerous stunts like putting chairs on stairs and going down the stairs, jumping out of high places, etc. Then when I got older I couldn't stand certain textures and noises. I still have a problem with that......

Learning difficulties also run in my boyfriend's family. I have dyscalculia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Autism is nothing to worry about, it's no big deal. I'm on the spectrum myself and I'm into autism self advocacy.

Plenty of neurotypical kids have speech delays. Not speaking much at three isn't common but it's not unheard of.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
Autism is nothing to worry about, it's no big deal. I'm on the spectrum myself and I'm into autism self advocacy.

Plenty of neurotypical kids have speech delays. Not speaking much at three isn't common but it's not unheard of.

I'm sorry, but autism is a big deal. You may be ''high'' on the spectrum but others are not and many autistic people will require substantial care for life.  For the parents who have to deal with this it's a HUGE deal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Ugh. I have been so sick over this.... I can't eat.. I can't sleep unless I have spent hours on Google.... I've lost 10 pounds. It's the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning... Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thinking of it...
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything