Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Deep Vein Thrombosis- or just my anxiety?  (Read 696 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Deep Vein Thrombosis- or just my anxiety?
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
I recently "discovered" deep vein thrombosis and ever since I've been driving myself crazy.  I am white with relativey thin/translucent skin so I have some visible but flat veins all over my legs.  I noticed there is a 1" long blue vein behind my knee that is more visible than the rest.  It doesn't hurt, but the more I think about it, the more I get this vague achy sensation all over my legs (I had the same thing when I was obsessed with MS, so it may be psychosomatic).  I am on birth control pills but other than that I don't have DVT risk factors.

But I can't stop worrying because you often don't even have symptoms, and I don't want to get expensive tests done if I don't have a reason for it!  What do I do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Deep Vein Thrombosis- or just my anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
I wish I had not discovered this aswell. I went to ER once with shortness of breath and the dr mentioned checking for blood clots, at that point I didn't even know what he was talking about. And ever since then, as soon as I get a pain in my leg I staft to freak out.
I guess go with your gut instinct. Lots of things can happen to us without symptoms. If you read real stories of people with DVT on the internet, all of them had symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
Getting a blood test called a D-Dimer if negative basically rules it out.  A positive D-dimer means nothing other than you need to be worked up.  With that said, you don't see DVTs.  The calf may swell and be painful.  Clots or veins you can see are not deep...as in deep vein thrombosis.  When those superificial veins hurt or clot that would be considered a superficial thrombophlebitis...which generally isn't harmful.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Butterflies121314

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »
I used to have this same fear years ago and actually went to the hospital twice because of it. If you had DVT your leg would be swollen, red, and warm. Some peoples veins just show more than others. I really don't think its DVT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
I have the same fears....I went to the ER for chest pains and they tested for a PE and told me what it was (had a negative d dimer). Every since then, that is all I think about...I have leg pain everyday and shortness of breath at times but after 2 ER visits and 2 doctor appointments, they say  fine. They never did an ultrasound, but they say that after 2 negative d dimers, it's anxiety

I don't know how to take my mind off it...all this to tell you I know what it's like
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
My mom had a DVT and it was anything but a vague achy sensation. She was in a lot of pain and could hardly walk on that leg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »
I recently "discovered" deep vein thrombosis and ever since I've been driving myself crazy.  I am white with relativey thin/translucent skin so I have some visible but flat veins all over my legs.  I noticed there is a 1" long blue vein behind my knee that is more visible than the rest.  It doesn't hurt, but the more I think about it, the more I get this vague achy sensation all over my legs (I had the same thing when I was obsessed with MS, so it may be psychosomatic).  I am on birth control pills but other than that I don't have DVT risk factors.

But I can't stop worrying because you often don't even have symptoms, and I don't want to get expensive tests done if I don't have a reason for it!  What do I do?

My GP said that most people with DVT will show up with a severly swollen ankle as well as a large red patch on their calf.

I like you was once worried becuase I was having the achy feeling below my knee and it turned out to be the stress causing knots in my calf muscle. My GP saidif you have DVT you know something is wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
I was hospitalized 6 years ago for a DVT that passed into my lungs (pulmonary embolism).  I broke my ankle at work so I had a cast and couldn't tell it was swelling.  I had some terrible cramps and I just passed it off as muscle atrophy.  You'd have some serious cramping if it was a DVT. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »
I've had this fear. I once slipped on my steps, caught my calf on the edge of a stair, and had a bruise that lasted for months. I was absolutely convinced I had a clot, despite not having any other symptoms. For a year or better, I was convinced that my calf had a clot every time my calf ache (I think the fall caused some scar tissue on my calf muscle). For those of us with HA, once our minds focus on something it's impossible to shake. Even now, I (sort of) jokingly refer to any calf pain as "my blood clot". That being said, my nurse grandmother and my PCP explained that, when a DVT presents symptoms, they tend to be pretty hard to ignore. Swelling, hot skin, discoloration, etc. Achy legs, especially if it's both legs, are not it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
I worry about that ALL the time.  My father had a blood clot in his calf that broke loose and went into this lungs.  Thankfully, he was in the hospital at the time and ended up fine.  But, I've been terrified ever since.   We both have Factor V Leiden which increases your chance of getting one due to thicker blood.

I also have a large vein that runs down the side of my knee into my lower leg.  I try to always remind myself that it should be very painful if a clot forms, etc., but I still worry whenever I have any pain in my legs.  I also bruise easily and asked my doctor about that and there is no connection between bruising and clots.  Tell my mind that.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
I have DVt. It was in my left leg and went all the way down the lag.
I was on coumadin for 2 1/2 yrs. I now take the viatmins and supplements that help with thinning the blood.
I also wear a compression garment on the left leg.
My leg was red, hot swollen and I had a hard time walking and could barely fit my foot in a shoe.
I have a gene mutation that causes me not to process homocysteine properly. homocysteine levels are what are thought to cause cardiac and vascular health issues.
Synthetic estrogen and progestin ( not progesterone) can cause these issues to pop up too.
The homocysteine levels are optimal below 6-7. When the levels get above 11 -13 then you need to be worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »
My father is on coumadin and periodically has his blood thickness checked.  It seems like every time he has to go for any sort of procedure even dental, he has to get off the coumadin and take stomach shots.  Then once the procedure is over and gets back on the coumadin, his blood thickness is completely messed up for weeks.  I really hope I don't end up like that.

What sort of vitamins and supplements do you take to thin the blood?  My doctor said they don't do anything for Factor V Leiden unless something happens.  Nice.  In my dad's case, something major happened and I certainly don't want to sit and wait.

I know fish oil thins the blood.  I'm just not sure if I should start messing with things unnecessarily.  I do take a baby aspirin every day...well, when I remember.  I've never had my blood thickness checked either, so I guess that probably would be step one.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
With Factor V Leiden it is a matter of making sure you drink enough water. You do not process certain vitamins properly either. You should discuss things with your doctor though before you decide to naturally thin out your blood. It can be very dangerous. I am not on coumadin anymore because I hemorrhaged and I was in the hospital getting blood transfusions. I am on prometrium (bio-identical progesterone)--it is what got me to stop bleeding. I lost more blood than my sister who was going through cancer treatment for stage 4 Non-Hodgkin at the time.
I take magnesium, Vitamin E, B vitamin complex and methylfolate (folic acid), B12, B6, Fish oil. Zinc beta carotene. I make sure that I drink water with lemon. I try and have ginger in my diet too and I also like to have some garlic (all these are natural blood thinners). But over the years I have had to adjust to the difference in how much of each I take.
Factor V Leiden is the gene mutation that my sister has as well. I have the MTHFR and my mother has a different. I do not know if the sister who had the cancer has any of these gene mutations. I know that when she was going through cancer she had a port for the heparin to be administered. Heparin  and Lovenox are the blood thinners that you have given as a shot in the stomach. Trust me they are not fun and hurt like the dickens.
My father is currently on coumadin. He had a stroke in Sept of 2011 and ever since has been on coumadin. He has to have his INRs checked all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
I have a question...is it possible to have a blood clot for 4 months and not know it besides having pain at times
Bookmark and Share

Offline adriannep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
I had dvt and bilateral PE  about 4.5 years ago. I have genetic protein c deficiency. On coumadin for life. I get my blood checked, it's almost always just fine, I go about my life. It's not the end of the world.

And no, I'm gonna say that if you really had a dvt you wouldn't be wondering about it for months.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: dvt anxiety panic pain