Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Just started Klonopin. Looking for guidance.  (Read 192 times)

Offline Mr. Whitby

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just started Klonopin. Looking for guidance.
« on: April 14, 2014, 04:06:57 AM »
So I just started Klonopin 1mg 3x per day. I'm wondering about foods to avoid or foods to utilize, supplements to avoid or utilize and drugs to avoid or utilize. I want it to work as well as possible and develop tolenrance as slow as possible. If any or you are thinking about suggesting grapefruit juice, don't bother. You probably don't know this, but Klonopin is actually one of the benzos  that it has little to no effect on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just started Klonopin. Looking for guidance.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Are you a benzo veteran?  That is quite a bit of klonopin.  I take .625mg per day.  I'm weaning down from 1.0 per day.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »
So I just started Klonopin 1mg 3x per day.

IMHO, the benzodiazepines (BZDs) are not good primary, taken daily, anti anxiety meds. Not so much because of the meds themselves, but because of the increasing reluctance of doctors to prescribe them. You could have difficulty getting prescriptions in the future. Even worse, you could then be required to wean off Klonopin within only a couple of weeks, something we see here all too often.

I'm wondering about foods to avoid or foods to utilize, supplements to avoid or utilize and drugs to avoid or utilize. I want it to work as well as possible and develop tolenrance as slow as possible.

There are none that I'm aware of. Tolerance to the anti anxiety effects of BZDs are the exception rather than the rule. Most people take less over time, not more. According to a study I found quoted on probably the most anti of anti BZD websites:
The typical pattern of a drug dependence syndrome, with drug seeking behaviour, rapid tolerance, and escalation of dosage, is rare (according to Marks's calculations, one in every 5 million patient months "at risk") Benzodiazepines on trial

If the quoted research is correct, then if all 314 million Americans took BZDs for 10 years, about 7,500 would develop tolerance.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Mr. Whitby

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »
I'm not a benzo veteran. This is my first time being prescribed a benzo for anxiety. I was, however prescribed 30 mgs(3, 10mg tablets per night) of ambien per night for exactly 10 years and may be the only person in history to have beeen prescribed such a dose of ambien. This may have had an effect to my susceptibility to gaba-a agonists.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
Ive read that benzos deplete Biotin and Melatonin, altho I took neither whilst I was on .5mg klonopin for 5 1/2 yrs.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Tags: