Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: swallowing issues  (Read 141 times)

Offline Parky94

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
swallowing issues
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
Hi guys, I have has this issue for a while now. I seem to have a very irrational fear of choking and other issues regarded to swallowing of food. I suffer with a very dry throat daily and sometimes food will take its time to go down,the problem is after a meal I become obsessed with the thought that some food is stuck in my throat or has somehow entered my lung region which always leads to clearing my throat/coughing for a while after! Its a real pain, anyone have a similar situation or any advice? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: swallowing issues
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:42:11 PM »
You could try sipping water with your meals.
Biotene also makes  a good oral moisturizer in a mouthwash and spray.

Do you take meds of any kind?  Meds are common for dry mouth issues.

Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:59:55 PM »
As with what Daisy said, A good key to overcoming some of that fear is to take drinks with every bite if you have to. especially when you have a dry mouth, it might feel pretty rough going down, but the esophagus is very strong and very good at forcing food down. You'd be amazed at what some people successfully swallow. I've always wondered about the whole food in lung thing. It's got to be highly unlikely... I'm pretty sure (And I'm no doctor so don't judge) but the epiglottis functions to keep food going in the right direction. a function that can't be failed. You get food in the wrong pipe, you cough it up. You'd be amazed with the power of your body.

I have that fear sometimes when swallowing pills or vitamins, I feel that it's lodged in my throat. If you cough quite a bit, you might feel a lump or that you have an obstruction..  I've noticed that if I irritate my uvula, it will get to the point where I can actually flip it up onto the back of my tongue, which is super annoying.

I hope all is well, keep hydrated... Drink water and get comfortable with it. There's nothing that can stop the force of water.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:02 AM »
Just plain ole anxiety can cause mouth dryness.  Your mouth and throat need lubrication for proper swallowing.  Difficulty swallowing can be caused by hyperawareness and dry throat/mouth.  The throat clearing could just be a nervous habit but it could also be caused by laryngopharyngeal reflux.  That can also cause throat irritation and problems swallowing.  It would be worth getting checked out.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags: