Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Miralax and Metamucil?  (Read 143 times)

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Miralax and Metamucil?
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:10:11 PM »
Yesterday I joined the bright red blood rectal bleeding club!   :(  I went to the bathroom and was horrified to see blood in the toilet and on the paper (first time this has ever happened).  Went straight to the urgent care doctor who did a rectal exam and found a hemorrhoid which she said could absolutely be the cause of the bleeding.  I now have general achiness over my entire abdomen but I had a clean colonoscopy less than 2 years ago (no polyps, only mild diverticulosis) so I'm not too worried about anything sinister.

My question is if I should add Miralax to my daily routine of Metamucil, water, salads...etc.  (I didn't think to ask this at my appt)  I thought I was doing so well but over the last 2 weeks I had a day when I got some great news followed by some awful news and it sent my GI system into utter chaos.  I believe I have been somewhat constipated lately which has caused my current situation.

Anyone take BOTH Miralax and Metamucil and, if so, how much and for how long?  The Miralax instructions say for max of 7 days.

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Miralax and Metamucil?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
Was the stool hard or large? I like Miralax if I have hard stool. I have HA intermittent bright be rectal bleeding for per a year. It has seriously put me in a state I panic I can't explain. I too have hemorrhoids but my HA has me terrified. I would try Miralax if the stool is hard. If you are looking for natural fiber ground flax seed is GREAT. It's also like as super food. But the seeds while and grind them In a coffee grinder. Add about one TBS to oatmeal or yogurt. It works wonders. Way better than a fiber powder would.
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
Thanks, Lindsay...the stool was hard as I think I have not been drinking nearly enough water lately.

I will look into the ground flax seed too...great idea!

Healing thoughts are coming your way, too!!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »
I had been taking metamucil every day for around the last 18 months to help with my cholesterol levels - yes metamucil can help reduce cholesterol but recently I became concerned about the chemicals they add to it so I went to the health food store and bought pure psyllium husk with no chemicals (what makes up the fiber in metamucil) and have taken it without incident.

Personally, I would suggest keeping on the metamucil (or switch yo psyllium husk if you can find it) it will help get you the fiber you need and reduce your cholesterol in one easy step
Bookmark and Share

Tags: