Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hip pain... bone cancer? I feel like going insane!  (Read 343 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Hip pain... bone cancer? I feel like going insane!
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:37 AM »
Ok, so after worrying about almost all types of cancers known to man in the last 5 months, I've started to focus now on  a symptoms I've been having for 1-2 months: hip pain.

I first noticed it 1-2 months ago, can't remember exactly when because I ignored it at first. I had a pain in my right  hip joint when I was lifting my leg sideways away from my body, at 90 degrees (like a dog peeing lol). I noticed it while I was doing side leg lifts exercises. I exercise very rarely but I'm pretty sure a month before those exercises, I didn't have this pain.

It was a mild pain so I ignored it, especially since it doesn't hurt when walking, running and most other movements ... so I basically forgot about it altogether... until 4 days ago, when I remembered it and raised my leg sideways again to notice the pain was STILL there.

The pain is a bit sharp and feels mechanical for sure. It doesn't limit my motion it's just uncomfortable. It's mostly in the same place, around the hip joint and hurts with a few specific movement and hurts every time when I make those movements. After forcing and testing my hip in all possible ways in the last 4 days, now it's more sensitive and it hurts with more movements than before.

It hurts when I lift my leg sideways, when I keep it lifted and rotate it & also when I stand normally and turn my torso to the right side (towards the painful hip) while keeping my legs pointing forward.

It never hurts when I don't move or when I walk etc. Never hurts at night.

I'm worried now that I have some bone cancer. :/ Now, I've been through bone cancer fears before and I read that usually it presents with a deep dull constant pain which is not what I have. But I worry that some tumor bone growth is causing my pain.

Funny enough, 2 weeks ago I also started to have a mechanical pain somewhere near my left shoulder plate. Only hurts with some movement. Now I can't believe I have cancer in BOTH these unrelated areas.

I've been to SO MANY doctors in the past 5 months, in the DOZENS. I just can't afford and wish that I didn't go again. Especially since I can't have X-rays done because I'm trying to conceive so no way I'll expose my ovaries to direct radiation. I might have an MRI but it's so expensive, I wish I could avoid all this :(

My bf tells me that I'm definitely fine and that I should not go to any doctor (he knows I always think about cancer and go to doctors and I'm always fine). My friend who is a medical resident told me I don't need to go to a doctor and that doesn't sound like a tumor.

Did you guys experience anything like that? What would you do? Do you think this sounds like a bone cancer??

I'm 28 yo female, healthy so far but always thinking I have cancer.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hip pain... bone cancer? I feel like going insane!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
Yes. I can hip pain a lot. Have had it on and off for years. I always put it at the hands of anxiety. It is not what I would class as constant pain. I can go months without. Then it might be bad for a few weeks. My doctor, who I did mention too only offered me medication for pain. She considered it more muscular than anything else. Plus I am a bit on the skinny side of things too. So that came into play as well. With me I find it more comes on if I find myself sitting around for long periods of time. But it does always clear up. I have never really been worried about it. I suppose we are all different come the end of the day. You have your fears. I don't share the same fears. Maybe try and get something to rub into the muscles and see if that clears it up. Ask your friend for the name of some sports items they use if players get sore muscles. It won't harm you. It more heats the muscle area up and see if it helps. Try to rule things out bit by bit.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
So why would you jump to bone cancer when you do exercises that would elicit tendonitis of the hip?  Think horses not zebras.  The most likely answer is usually the right one.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
Yes. I can hip pain a lot. Have had it on and off for years. I always put it at the hands of anxiety. It is not what I would class as constant pain. I can go months without. Then it might be bad for a few weeks. My doctor, who I did mention too only offered me medication for pain. She considered it more muscular than anything else. Plus I am a bit on the skinny side of things too. So that came into play as well. With me I find it more comes on if I find myself sitting around for long periods of time. But it does always clear up. I have never really been worried about it. I suppose we are all different come the end of the day. You have your fears. I don't share the same fears. Maybe try and get something to rub into the muscles and see if that clears it up. Ask your friend for the name of some sports items they use if players get sore muscles. It won't harm you. It more heats the muscle area up and see if it helps. Try to rule things out bit by bit.

Thank you... yes it's true we all have our fears. I just came to fear too many things lately. However my symtoms don't go away & come back - the pain is always there, I just need to make those moves that will trigger it and I can feel it.

You think sore muscles can cause a pain that's a bit sharp, similar to say a sprain? I always thought muscle pain was more like a duller type of pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »
So why would you jump to bone cancer when you do exercises that would elicit tendonitis of the hip?  Think horses not zebras.  The most likely answer is usually the right one.

Lol, yes I love that saying. Zebras & unicorns are more popular in my crazy world than horses :)

My bf thinks it's tendonitis too... Tells me to wait it out and stop complaining because it can take 2-3 months for it to heal. I just don't know how tendonitis would cause pain EXACTLY in the joint area, but you might as well be right, I don't know where all the tendons are.

I used to do those side lift exercises from time to time, once-twice a month or so (I'm a sedentary lazy ass), but I didn't have any problems with them until one day when I felt that pain in the hip. The pain didn't start after beginning to exercise, it was there before and was just triggered by the movement.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
When I briefly worried about bone cancer I used to tell myself "My bones aren't breaking so I'm fine". Hip pain is a common, common issue. It doesn't mean you have cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
My pain can go from hip right down to my foot. There have been times when I nearly lost my balance. Yet I don't still think it is anything serious. Inactivity can bring it on for me. If I go for a walk it tends to loosen things up a lot and the pain can vanish. That is why I say muscular. Though at times it can feel like my bones just want to snap. With me it does be mainly on my right side. The foot I use as a rule. I seriously think I just accepted it is there. I pay it little attention, even when it is bad. The more we focus on such things the more we are aware of them.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
I had the *exact* same fear.  Went to the Dr who told me hip pain is unbelievably common.  I finally told him what my real fear was (bone cancer) and his exact reply "that's extreme thinking".  Mine was my SI joint flaring - took some anti-inflammatories and I was much better.

From what I understand, bone cancer is absolutely debilitating pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

Lol, yes I love that saying. Zebras & unicorns are more popular in my crazy world than horses :)

My bf thinks it's tendonitis too... Tells me to wait it out and stop complaining because it can take 2-3 months for it to heal. I just don't know how tendonitis would cause pain EXACTLY in the joint area, but you might as well be right, I don't know where all the tendons are.

I used to do those side lift exercises from time to time, once-twice a month or so (I'm a sedentary lazy ass), but I didn't have any problems with them until one day when I felt that pain in the hip. The pain didn't start after beginning to exercise, it was there before and was just triggered by the movement.
  Most people don't know where the hip joint is actually located.  The hip joint is actually located in the groin area.  When people complain of hip pain the almost always point the outside of the hip.  Question is it tender to touch...specifically on the outside of the hip on the side?  If so, then it's likely tronchanteric bursitis.  If you are active, specifically if you work out with weights or resistance training it's likely tendonitis.  This takes care of about 90% of your hip complaints.  Osteoarthritis of the hip is also in the realm of possibility but much less likely.  Cancer of this hip would be WAY down on the differential list.  Why not just go to the doc on Monday and get an x-ray?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
I had the *exact* same fear.  Went to the Dr who told me hip pain is unbelievably common.  I finally told him what my real fear was (bone cancer) and his exact reply "that's extreme thinking".  Mine was my SI joint flaring - took some anti-inflammatories and I was much better.

Exactly...it's called catastrophizing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »

Exactly...it's called catastrophizing.

Gee think I have HA?? ;)  Seriously, I got treated for HA and whenever I feel it creeping up and say that to myself in his voice.  Works like a chart.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
Most people don't know where the hip joint is actually located.  The hip joint is actually located in the groin area.  When people complain of hip pain the almost always point the outside of the hip.  Question is it tender to touch...specifically on the outside of the hip on the side?  If so, then it's likely tronchanteric bursitis.  If you are active, specifically if you work out with weights or resistance training it's likely tendonitis.  This takes care of about 90% of your hip complaints.  Osteoarthritis of the hip is also in the realm of possibility but much less likely.  Cancer of this hip would be WAY down on the differential list.  Why not just go to the doc on Monday and get an x-ray?

Well, I know where the hip joint is located and that is exactly where I feel the pain. Sometimes in the groin, other times deep in the lateral. I use the 'C sign' and cup my hip with my hand to localize the pain. I don't have pain when I touch & feel around the hip structures.

I am also a sedentary person, but occasionally do butt exercises that involve moving the legs & hips.

I don't want to have X-rays done because I'm trying to get pregnant and I don't want any radiation to that area...

Can this still be a tendonitis if the pain is in the groin/deep lateral?

I had my boyfriend perform some hip tests on me. The FABER is positive but the femuro acetabular impingement tests were all negative. Piriformis test also negative, except when done in an extreme position.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
My pain can go from hip right down to my foot. There have been times when I nearly lost my balance. Yet I don't still think it is anything serious. Inactivity can bring it on for me. If I go for a walk it tends to loosen things up a lot and the pain can vanish. That is why I say muscular. Though at times it can feel like my bones just want to snap. With me it does be mainly on my right side. The foot I use as a rule. I seriously think I just accepted it is there. I pay it little attention, even when it is bad. The more we focus on such things the more we are aware of them.

It does sound muscular, could be your piriformis muscle, sometimes it can pinch the sciatic nerve and shoot pain into your leg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
  No tenderness means its not bursitis.  Yes, it most certainly can be tendonitis. 

Well, I know where the hip joint is located and that is exactly where I feel the pain. Sometimes in the groin, other times deep in the lateral. I use the 'C sign' and cup my hip with my hand to localize the pain. I don't have pain when I touch & feel around the hip structures.

I am also a sedentary person, but occasionally do butt exercises that involve moving the legs & hips.

I don't want to have X-rays done because I'm trying to get pregnant and I don't want any radiation to that area...

Can this still be a tendonitis if the pain is in the groin/deep lateral?

I had my boyfriend perform some hip tests on me. The FABER is positive but the femuro acetabular impingement tests were all negative. Piriformis test also negative, except when done in an extreme position.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
Thank you Shawn.

How long would a tendonitis take to heal?

I was thinking of waiting one more month before seeing a doctor or having an mri done, maybe the pain will subside in the meantime. Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: