Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Muscle Twitching at Night Woke Me Up HELP  (Read 411 times)

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Muscle Twitching at Night Woke Me Up HELP
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:12:06 AM »
For the second night in a row, the muscle twitching in my foot that moves my pinky toe has woken me up at night as well. I'm very scared. If it's happening in my sleep that means it's not just anxiety. I fear the worst. ALS. I don't know what to do my parents think I'm crazy. Does muscle twitching in my sleep that wakes me that also happens during the day time prove it's not just anxiety? I'm freaking out!
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Muscle Twitching at Night Woke Me Up HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »
Stop fearing of ALS when it can't be that. Twitching with ALS doesn't stop, ever...when it starts it NEVER stops. You maybe have some injury...it can't be ALS!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Keyser Söze

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
Muscle twitches (fasciculations) are one of the most common things anxiety sufferers experience. I also experienced a lot of muscle twitches for the past few months. You do not have ALS. In ALS the muscle twitches start after the muscle tissue has allready lost a significant amount of strength. If you do not experience strenght loss, you do not have ALS. Muscle twitches without a know cause are called Bening Fasciculation Syndrome. They generally tend to become worse when anxious. I also experienced this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:21:10 AM »
If it wakes you in the night why can't it be anxiety?  Come on...you are smarter than that.  You are anxious even while you sleep...bet you dream about twitching.  It means absolutely nothing.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Stop fearing of ALS when it can't be that. Twitching with ALS doesn't stop, ever...when it starts it NEVER stops. You maybe have some injury...it can't be ALS!

It hasn't really stopped. It stops for a few hours at a time but when I use my foot it gets worse and when I sleep it acts up also for whatever reason. It feels tight when I wake up also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
It stops for a few hours

What didn't you understand when I said it NEVER stops...not even for a second...it is constant twitching because your muscle atrophied.
Bookmark and Share

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »
When do you stop making post after post after post about ALS and trying to prove to us that you do have it, which you don't, and get treated for anxiety?  I've been there in that all consuming fear cycle and it's awful.  Why not get out??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
Anxiety CAN wake you up!  A few years ago I'd get this jerk where I'd jerk my head back and it would wake me up, I'd just about fall asleep and "JERK!" my head would go back, it would go on about 5 times a night, until I finally started taking Xanax to break the cycle.  It stopped.  Anxiety doesn't mean you are THINKING about it, it affects the entire central nervous system.  Why do you think people get TMJ?  They are clenching and grinding their teeth in their sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »
I do not believe fasciculations are caused by anxiety. I am still going back to my theory that during times of being athletic, then that is how they are brought on. A receptor during repeated daily physical activity loses its' sensor, and that is how they start. Once they start they don't stop, but kind of go through periods where some days they are more frequent than others. Anxiety happens after the fact.... for example, fasciculations are a fairly common consequence of being physically fit, but then the person starts to worry something is wrong, google symptoms about MS or ALS or other weird stuff, and that is not the case. So then they are constantly looking for and waiting for the fasciculations to happen. If you are still they are more numerous because your muscles are at rest. When you are active you do not feel them. If you are being still and waiting for them to happen, then they will happen and be more noticeable because you are just sitting there looking for them. Probably from cycling acetylcholine at rest and how they affect the sensors of the muscles, lactic acid, or some other hormone that is normal when you are at rest.. totally NORMAL. You should not worry. It's something you just have to learn to live with. It is annoying, yes, but is not harmful or pathological in any way, shape, or form. Just ACCEPT it. It's from heavy exercise, I am telling you, that's what creates them. You need to accept it so that you can move on. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
I do not believe fasciculations are caused by anxiety. I am still going back to my theory that during times of being athletic, then that is how they are brought on. A receptor during repeated daily physical activity loses its' sensor, and that is how they start. Once they start they don't stop, but kind of go through periods where some days they are more frequent than others. Anxiety happens after the fact.... for example, fasciculations are a fairly common consequence of being physically fit, but then the person starts to worry something is wrong, google symptoms about MS or ALS or other weird stuff, and that is not the case. So then they are constantly looking for and waiting for the fasciculations to happen. If you are still they are more numerous because your muscles are at rest. When you are active you do not feel them. If you are being still and waiting for them to happen, then they will happen and be more noticeable because you are just sitting there looking for them. Probably from cycling acetylcholine at rest and how they affect the sensors of the muscles, lactic acid, or some other hormone that is normal when you are at rest.. totally NORMAL. You should not worry. It's something you just have to learn to live with. It is annoying, yes, but is not harmful or pathological in any way, shape, or form. Just ACCEPT it. It's from heavy exercise, I am telling you, that's what creates them. You need to accept it so that you can move on. Good luck.

No one really knows what causes them.  With that said, hyperexciteability of the nervous system certainly makes them worse.  They increase with caffeine use, lack of sleep and stress.  We know these things as medical facts based upon years of numerous clinicial presentations.  Often in the case of benign fasiculation syndromes the vast majority of those individuals are anxious individuals.  This is more than hyperawareness.  Most individuals who have this syndrome were not active before the precipitating event...they were anxious before the precipitating event.  With that said, there are subsets of individuals who experienced these after much physical training or after an illness.  I believe there to be multiple causes but that anxiety at minimum makes them worse, and in many is the root cause.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
If anxiety can't cause them then I am in deep deep trouble because I'm getting more and more anxious and my twitches are getting worse and worse. They wake me up every night. I am very scared. I wake up every night now with a racing heart beat and a twitching foot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:19:49 AM »
If anxiety can't cause them then I am in deep deep trouble because I'm getting more and more anxious and my twitches are getting worse and worse. They wake me up every night. I am very scared. I wake up every night now with a racing heart beat and a twitching foot.

They can and do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypotypo

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
Hi AP151....just wanted to let you know there are a lot of fellow twitchers out here (i'm one too) and I thump in the middle of the night as well...mostly after I turn over or use that muscle.  I just posted an article for another friend here on AZ and maybe it will help you too...

Anxiety

Anxiety and stress are perhaps the No. 1 cause of muscle twitching, which is also known as benign fasciculation syndrome. Benign means the muscle twitching will not develop into anything serious. Fasciculation is the medical term for muscle twitching. Syndrome means that typically, a lot of muscle twitching is also accompanied by muscle cramps, muscle aches and some tingling. But these other symptoms come on after the person starts excessively worrying that the muscle twitching is a sign of a deadly disease.

Anxiety makes muscles twitch. It's that simple. One theory is that in ancient times, early man had to always be ready for action, living in a harsh environment with no modern-day conveniences to protect him. His muscles, his entire nervous system, had to always be prepared for a fight with danger, or for a flight from danger.

In the genes

We are genetically hardwired to physiologically react to a crisis situation. Our muscles are on standby to jump into action. But contemporary stress is different from ancient stress. Today, we don't need to be ready for the charging bison or hissing snake. But just the same, our bodies are under siege by other forms of anxiety: job stress, paying bills, foreclosure threats, protecting teens from drugs and sex, marital problems, traffic jams, business meetings, etc. It's no wonder that our muscles are always jumping.

When we are under chronic stress, our muscles twitch because they think that at any moment, action will be required of them. So they are, in a sense, gearing up for the fight or flight, kind of like a track sprinter dragging his foot backward on the track as he prepares for the race. Anxiety tells the muscles, "Get ready. On your mark, get set..."

But the "go" never happens, because the stress is not of a life-threatening nature (such as a charging bison, falling rock or hissing snake of ancient times). So the muscles remain in idle, like a car at a stop light. The engine is on, but the car goes nowhere. The engine, in this case, is the muscle twitching. They are not relaxed. They are anticipating.

So when you notice a lot of muscle twitching while under stress, realize that this means that everything is working just fine.

Hope this helps and just know you aren't alone. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypotypo

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
sorry should have said it was for AP151...my bad... :-*
Bookmark and Share

Tags: