Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Increase Sertraline?  (Read 364 times)

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Increase Sertraline?
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
Hi all!

I have been on Sertraline since late December for horrible GAD and panic attacks. I went up from 50 mg to 75 mg about 7 weeks ago and it really helped me greatly. Unfortunately, now that I am stabilized on 75 mg I feel some anxiety creeping back in. I now have some days where I feel tense, shaky, and tired almost all day long. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Instead of my anxiety being an 8 or 9 like it used to be, on a "bad" day it will be at around a 3 or 4.

Do you think increasing my Sertraline to 100 mg would help? I am seeing my psychiatrist sometime next week to discuss this with him.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increase Sertraline?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
Hi Bababel...

The minimum therapeutic dose for sertraline (Zoloft) is 50 mg.  however, most individuals with anxiety disorders need to take between 100-150 mg to see good results.

Since you will be seeing your psychiatrist next week, do indeed talk to him/her about your change in symptoms.

It is my understanding that taking to much of an anti-depressant is not going to harm you, but not taking enough can increase the possibility that the medication will up and stop working for you (poop-out).

Another thing to keep in mind, whether a person has an anxiety disorder or not, we can all have bad days and even a bad week.  I just recently had one of those bad weeks, but it didn't last, and this week I have had some of the best days that I have had in 6 months.

Good luck with the Zoloft, and the very best to you, Bababel!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »
Thanks, MC. I know that I am on the lower end of the sertraline dosage, and I have no problem increasing it to 100 mg if my psychiatrist suggests it, but I am just worried that a) the sertraline isn't working for me, or b) it has pooped-out on me already.

I know there is a lot of trial and error involved in finding the right med, but I felt like I was doing so well until about a week ago. I have had two "bad" days that have come on with no reason at all. I just don't want my anxiety disorder taking over my life yet again. :(

Thank you again for your help, MC!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:48 PM »
I have no problem increasing it to 100 mg if my psychiatrist suggests it, but I am just worried that a) the sertraline isn't working for me, or b) it has pooped-out on me already.

I can't say whether sertraline is pooping-out on you, but for the majority of those taking it 75mg/day would not be enough to adequately control their anxiety/depression. Most need to be on 100-300mg for good results, a few require 400mg/day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline maple

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
I'm curious what the source is that 100 mg of sertraline is the most effective for anxiety?  My psychiatrist, who is a very good doctor, told me that lower doses tend to be more effective for certain anxiety disorders (esp. panic); higher doses are more typical for OCD and major depression.  According to him, patients with panic and PTSD often find satisfactory effects from 12.5mg-50mg of zoloft (or low doses of comparable SSRIs and even TCAs), and these are the groups that tend to be most medication sensitive.

It's very much a matter of an individual's body chemistry.  I had a jittery, nauseous feeling the whole time I titrated up on sertraline; we stopped at 62.5 mg, which was my dose for a solid 4 months.  When I titrated down, the jitteriness went away.  A lot of the studies for sertraline have high doses, but they are paid for by the drug manufacturer, and selling more of their drug provides more profit.  Consult your doctor and do what's best for you, more isn't always better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »
Thanks, Ian! Let's keep our fingers crossed that it isn't pooping-out quite yet.

Maple, I saw my psychiatrist today and told him about how my anxiety has gotten worse again. He told me that for most of his anxiety patients, 75 mg is just not enough, and most take at least 125 mg. So what he told me supports what Chuck and Ian have said. I know that 50 mg didn't work very well for me, and 75 mg has been better, but still not enough. I will be moving up to 100 mg in the next couple of days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
Hi bababel,

We have spoken before on here. Sorry your anxiety has creeped up again. I am now on 100mg of sertraline been on 100 for quite a few weeks now, slowly improving but my anxiety is still there but not quite as bad. Let me know how you get on with your increase x
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Hi Luisa! I've been wondering how you are doing. I am glad to hear that you are slowly improving. Do you think you will raise your dosage or stay at 100? I am hoping that 100 will be enough for me since I was doing so well on 75 mg, but I won't mind going up if I have to.

Have you gained any weight on sertraline? I have gained about 8 lbs and am not happy about it. I'm going to have to be really strict about my diet and exercise from now on.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: