Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What are you afraid of?  (Read 533 times)

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What are you afraid of?
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
I feel like my anxiety is getting away with me, and sometimes it helps to list what I am afraid of to get over it or at least be able to move on with my day. So I thought maybe we could have a little vent session where we all just list any and all fears, and maybe make ourselves feel a little better in knowing we are not alone in our struggles.

What am I afraid of? I am afraid of the horizontal ridge that showed up on my toe and seems to maybe be showing up on my thumbnail. I am afraid that my hair is thinning and becoming brittle. I am afraid of heart palpitations I had about several weeks ago are going to come back and I have a heart disease. I am afraid about re-occurring visual disturbances and optical migraines and that for years they have missed this being a brain tumor. I am afraid that all these symptoms are symptomatic of something that they have neglected to test for. I am afraid to work out for fear that it is something heart related and I will push myself too hard. I am afraid that I will never be able to truly enjoy my time with my kids and my husband. I am afraid of taking anti-anxiety medication due to side effects. I am afraid that my stress, diet, and dehydration is causing damage to my body and causing these symptoms, but I feel powerless to fix them.

So...What are you afraid of?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are you afraid of?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Right now I consider most of my fears gone however right now I'm worried about a brain tumor. It's a rare worry for me, at least lately, but my head has been hurting all day - pressure headaches - and I feel nausea for no reason. No dizziness or visual issues though.  That combined with my wisdom tooth extraction pains and neck ache worries me a little but I'm trying to ignore it and hope it goes away with relaxation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
I'm not afraid of anything SPECIFIC, but when I get a "symptom", then my imagination runs wild with any NUMBER of sicknesses and diseases that present with THAT symptom.  (a tingly leg?  I probably have MS; a red tonsil for weeks with no sore throat?  I probably have tonsil cancer;
Something different happening with my bowel that hasn't happened before (even if it has and it was nothing LAST time) then it's probably colon cancer; dull lower abdominal pain?  It's probably ovarian cancer... the worry goes on until the symptom disappears.  And if it comes back months or years later, I don't think, "Oh, I had this before and it was nothing"  I think, "I had this before and it was nothing, but THIS time it may be the real thing!!" and I worry the same way.

Xanax is a good anti-anxiety medication because you only take as needed.  If you are not in a constant state of anxiety then that is the best option.  No side effects either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
Right now I have a few issues.
I have a pain at the angle of the mandible of the jaw bone. I clench my teeth (very badly). I have trigger point pain (I know this). Yet my brain goes all over the place thinking it is a heart attack because my left arm is also numb or nerve entrapment is going on at the same time.
I have had a digestive issue for a few weeks.
I also am afraid of kidney stones. (I have had these and they are miserable.).
I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and DVT. This I know. It is the costochondritis though that hist with Fibromyalgia that cause the concern for the heart issues because the pain is on that side. Then again because of the jaw angle pain too. I know logically that I stress a lot when I am at the computer and when I sit (poor posture). I also know that I have TMJ and that causes trigger point pain and jaw pain. I am trying to brush these off as that.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Betterhealth

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
Let me join this wonderful conversation to list my own fears. I will apologize in advance about how many they are at the moment.

Let's start: Random numbness left side of face that started a week ago, I think it is an aneurysm or stroke coming or another brain problem.

Pain under my lower left rib for a week now, I feel it is a pancreas or spleen problem.

I think I also have lung problems and a lot of heart problems.

I get palps everyday, I think it is a dangerous arrythmia. Also get those palps as painful feelings in any part of my body and I think that my blood pressure is super high or my vessels won't be able to hang in.

Pain on my lower right side of abdomen, I think it is appendix problem, had it for at least a month.

Got bit by a mosquito, I think I am having west nile.

Random aches and pains in my body that I feel that is either fibro or MS.

Lots of things to desl with everyday...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
I could have written Sunlovers post word for word. That is exactly what I go through.

My main fear always is cancer. The other day I had a headache and my mind went to a brain tumor. I currently have a cough and have been clearing my throat a lot and am starting to worry about lung cancer or some other type of cancer. Especially since I'm almost done with a round of antibiotics and feel I'm getting sick again.

I was doing pretty well for awhile until 2 people I know have recently had a cancer diagnosis. That brought my cancer fears to the surface again. It's exhausting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
i get heartburn almost every day and I am worried about it progressing to Barrett's Esophagus and to cancer. The idea of my wife, family and friends watching me slowly die is the most heartbreaking thought in the world to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:07:03 AM »
Don't know how old you are, but if it's any consolation, my dad is 80, had stomach and heartburn problems since is early 20's and he is TOTALLY fine! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 06:30:59 AM »
Right now, I'm afraid of my right hip pain when I lift my leg sideways that I've been having for over a month, of the pain around my left shoulder blade, of the fact that my teeth seem more translucent at the cutting edge and I get more plaque than before and my gums bleed a little with every brush - what if my body is demineralized because of some cancer? I'm afraid that I'm infertile and will have to have surgery or IVF to get pregnant. I'm afraid my right eye hurts and my right eyebrow is tense and I have 2 dilated veins around this eye.

And I'm afraid I'll never be normal and relaxed and carefree again. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:35:05 AM »
I'm not afraid of anything SPECIFIC, but when I get a "symptom", then my imagination runs wild with any NUMBER of sicknesses and diseases that present with THAT symptom.  (a tingly leg?  I probably have MS; a red tonsil for weeks with no sore throat?  I probably have tonsil cancer;
Something different happening with my bowel that hasn't happened before (even if it has and it was nothing LAST time) then it's probably colon cancer; dull lower abdominal pain?  It's probably ovarian cancer... the worry goes on until the symptom disappears.  And if it comes back months or years later, I don't think, "Oh, I had this before and it was nothing"  I think, "I had this before and it was nothing, but THIS time it may be the real thing!!" and I worry the same way.

Xanax is a good anti-anxiety medication because you only take as needed.  If you are not in a constant state of anxiety then that is the best option.  No side effects either.

That's exactly what I'm dealing with too... and probably many others here too. It's a mindset that's biased toward jumping to conclusions and imagining the absolute possible WORST.

God forbid one symptoms to last for longer than 1-2 weeks... that can drive me to obsession and mental exhaustion. Unfortunately some symptoms will just last. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Curiouslywondering

• Rec's: 1
  • We dance in the rain..I love that you're crazy too
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 06:47:49 AM »
Hi everybody,

Well been reading everyone's post and it looks like you guys have allot of health anxiety, I probably should to seeing as my health is *****, but no I never worry about my health unless it's something a good rest, relaxation and meds won't heal, and so far I haven't come across that. My biggest fear however is intense,I fear two things, 1. Being a burden on my family
2.Brain fog, dr/dp won't ever go away, and will increase I intensity
3. Completely, irreversibly losing my mind

These fears are so real to me,I think about them night and day, all the time. It just never leaves my head like a broken record it plays over and over. When these fears come on sometimes I can deal with them (difficulty) and then sometimes they result in a full blown panic attack, which seems to last and last. Ugh this really sucks but somehow through God's grace I manage..

Peace and blessings
Bookmark and Share
Live life way above the stars because you can't get much closer to God than where you are...

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
Yesterday I was doing so well, then I woke up and now I feel anxiety. I woke up with a headache and my stomach doesn't feel good. I know it's probably stress and the need to use the bathroom but my brain jumped a few meters and went to the worst case scenarios of brain tumor and colon cancer again. My grandma getting a colonscopy today probably didn't help.. I need to go eat breakfast and play some video games.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Aimee1875

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
Lymphoma for me,or any type of cancer. Some days I feel better and think 'well I've had a few lymph nodes that I believe have shrunk over the last 2 months I've had them and haven't grown unless I play with them and my doctor wasn't worried so there's nothing wrong' but then I just think that everyone might just be wrong and I may have something wrong with me and that scares the hell out of me. It's a nightmare to be in this state of mind where I feel trapped and feel alone. But sometimes I just feel so selfish moaning about these things when there's people who do genuinely have it and I probably don't. I hope one day these fears leave us all to get on with our life instead of ruining it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
My fears are typically symptom based.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »
Wow, great response to this thread! Yep, once I listed out my fears to the world, I felt loads better yesterday and was actually able to enjoy the rest of the day and night. Still a little anxious this evening (getting a little chest tightness, but in reality is probably some spring allergies or an onset of a chest cold), but able to think much more rationally about it all. It was nice though to have almost a solid 24 hours of being able to be more like me and it is helping me even now just reading your responses.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: