Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rarely blink!? PD?  (Read 178 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Rarely blink!? PD?
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
So, my PD-scare is at an all time high here. I've noticed now that i rarely, as in maybe 15-30sec apart, blink. That would equal a total of 2-4blinks/min, and the normal rate ranges from 15-20 in avg. No matter where I read I can only find that low blink rate equals PD.

To make matters worse, i suffer from GAD/severe OCD/major depression, all of which is supposed to INCREASE blink rate rather than decrease it. I spend in average 12-14h/day googling symptoms, and all I can find is that I have PD. I often contemplate *****, and this recent discovery might have been the final nail in the coffin:/
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rarely blink!? PD?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
OK... first of all what is PD? (I googled it and all i get is Police Department sites)
Second, WHY would you time your blinks? (I mean what made you do that in the first place)
Third, before I even READ this post (so that I wouldn't have pre-conceived notions in my mind) I did an experiment , I went into the kitchen, set the microwave timer for 1 minute and counted how many times I blinked. I was just blinking a THIRD time when the timer beeped - so whatever PD is I have it too...    Also, I know that staring a computer screen (reading things) will make you blink WAY less than normal, that is how so many people get dry eyes with computer work.  (well jeez, if I am looking at a computer I probably blink once every TWO minutes!  LOL!) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »
OK... first of all what is PD? (I googled it and all i get is Police Department sites)
Second, WHY would you time your blinks? (I mean what made you do that in the first place)
Third, before I even READ this post (so that I wouldn't have pre-conceived notions in my mind) I did an experiment , I went into the kitchen, set the microwave timer for 1 minute and counted how many times I blinked. I was just blinking a THIRD time when the timer beeped - so whatever PD is I have it too...    Also, I know that staring a computer screen (reading things) will make you blink WAY less than normal, that is how so many people get dry eyes with computer work.  (well jeez, if I am looking at a computer I probably blink once every TWO minutes!  LOL!)

Sorry, I've gotten so used to the abbrevation that I take for granted that everyone knows what it means. PD stands for Parkinsons disease, a non-curable degenerative neuro disease. Although my scare is more about the young onset variant (YOPD) and a slow blink rate is supposed to be highly diagnostic since the lack of dopamine is supposed to affect most or all automatic body-functions (such as blinking, swallowing and many more functions).

But blinking isn't my only symptom, in fact more seems to develop every single day.

It started with some rather extreme muscle tension, mostly in my keft side, that wont go away. It slowly progressed to affect most parts of my body, to the extent that I know have a rather akward gait w/o arm swing in left side (also highly diagnostic). Although my arm swing seems to be somewhat affected by my thinking.

I have these near constant tremors, again most notable in left side, but present in both sides (again, highly diagnostic)

As of recently I've developed a slurred soft speech and excess saliva.

I was evaluated by a psychiatrist recently (some sort of light-neuro exam) but he couldn't find anything wrong:/

I've developed several quite severe obsessions, like timing my blink rate and ALWAYS watching my arm swing. I constantly check my neuro-status by doing different tests. Any time I find inconcistencies in arm swing ir blink rate I freak out and feel like ending it right now and then.

I really can't go on like this, it hurts both mentaly and physicaly (from constant tensions etc).
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
Can this realy just be my psychiatric disorders acting up,  or should I be prepared for the worst?
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »
It could all definitely be anxiety!  When you fixate on something you notice it more or actually CREATE it!
You seem to be noticing all these things, does anyone AROUND you notice it? Do they say "Hey (substitute your name here), why are you walking so funny?"  Or "Hey Rasal, you are slurring your words!"  Or are you just perceiving these maladies?
If you hurt your lower back it could be a bit stiff and you may "feel" as though you are walking like "frankenstein"
And you went to a psychiatrist, he would have SEEN something off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
It could all definitely be anxiety!  When you fixate on something you notice it more or actually CREATE it!
You seem to be noticing all these things, does anyone AROUND you notice it? Do they say "Hey (substitute your name here), why are you walking so funny?"  Or "Hey Rasal, you are slurring your words!"  Or are you just perceiving these maladies?
If you hurt your lower back it could be a bit stiff and you may "feel" as though you are walking like "frankenstein"
And you went to a psychiatrist, he would have SEEN something off.

My fiancé insists that she hasn´t noticed any change in my blink rate etc, but I just can´t let go of that fear. I constantly think about how many times I blink in a minute, and sometimes it realy is as low as 3-4 times/min. According to some articles I found about blink rate and PD that would indicate that I´m already quite affected by the disease=/

I don´t know what to do, I´ve suffered from OCD/GAD/HOCD/Major depression and even conversion/somatoform disorders for so log but this realy seems to be the one thing realy indicating that I have YOPD =/

No matter where I look I can´t find anything indicating that a blink rate of 3-4 blinks/min can occur in healthy individuals, everything I find (at that is beginning to be quite a handfull of sources) indicates a disturbance to  substantia nigra (almost exclusivelly seen in PD).

This low blink rate of mine can´t be normal?=/
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Tags: