Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: CT Scan Exposure  (Read 160 times)

Offline friendly_fella

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CT Scan Exposure
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:01:19 AM »
OK--I am freaking out because I had to go into the ER last week to get my back checked out for severe pain. They initially did an X-Ray on my pelvic area, but then realized they also needed to do a CT scan. During the CT scan I went through the tube three separate times with the little radiation symbol being exposed. I have read online that the pelvic CT scans can expose someone to 1000s times the amount of radiation that one is exposed to during a regular Xray. Specifically, some studies have shown that the pelvic CT scans are one of the worst and definitively increase cancer rates. Moreover, the person doing my CT scan seemed negligent. She did not know that I was supposed to "breathe in" during the procedure, even though I did because the machine told me to. I asked her beforehand and if I was supposed to do this and she said "I don't THINK so." Who says this when operating a radiation machine!?!?

I also looked it up and people operating CT machines are supposed to try to make sure you are exposed to the minimal amount of radiation needed. I am VERY skinny, especially in my pelvic region and I have ZERO faith that this person who did not know whether I was supposed to breathe in or not, actually took into account my weight when administering the radiation. I am just really sad because I feel like I am doomed to get cancer during mid-adulthood (I'm 26). It runs on my mother's side rampantly and I would have much rather preferred an MRI (which does not expose one to radiation). But NOPE was not informed of this and was given probably a high dose of unneeded radiation.

I'm looking to y'all to help calm my nerves. Please help =(.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CT Scan Exposure
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
I went through this pm me if you'd like to chat
Bookmark and Share

Offline friendly_fella

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CT Scan Exposure
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:39 PM »
I'm not sure how to PM on here...little confused with the interface. Can you PM me first?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: