Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out  (Read 177 times)

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
I started on Paxil today. Took 20 mg in the after noon. We'll right now I feel an anxiety attack coming on. I was feeling wonderful until about ten minutes ago. My eyes are like saucers. That's what freaked me out. HElpppp is this normal with starting this.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
Hi Sammy...  I am sorry that you feel like an anxiety attack is coming on...

Paxil (Paroxetine), the anti-depressant you stated on this afternoon, is in the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) classification.  When starting a SSRI anti-depressant, serotonin levels in the body, including the brain, are immediately increased.  Some individuals will not experience any side effects from this action, some, a few, and others will have more severe side effects.  One of the classic side effects is a temporary increase in anxiety and/or panic/anxiety attacks.  So what you are experiencing is indeed unpleasant, but also very normal.

I was started on Celexa (Citalopram) some 5 months ago.  Upon starting the Celexa, my anxiety went through the roof.  I had other side effects as well.  I was told to expect these to last about two weeks.  Sure enough, I had a dramatic decrease in all my side effects on day 16-17 into my treatment, as my body got use to the medication, and my anxiety returned to baseline.

Do your best to hang on.  This initial period won't last, and things will get better.

The very best to you, Sammy!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »
Thanks chuck what freaked me out what was pupils being so big & then that sent me in a panick attack but I called the pharmacy and he said it was normal
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Hi Sammy...

I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but widening/large pupils is one of the body's responses to the fight or flight mode.  This also occurs with panic/panic attacks, as these are the fight or flight response.

Think of it this way...  You are out in the woods and suddenly come across a big, old bear.  At this point your body goes into its natural fight or flight response.  One of the body's reactions is to widen the pupils.  This lets more light in and gives you a better picture of what you are facing and how to deal with it.

The fight and flight response goes all the way back to the caveman's day, when they had to make a choice to stand and fight off a predator, or run like crazy.  This is part of our natural instincts.

The very best to you, Sammy!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: