Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Obsessive thoughts walking pain??  (Read 219 times)

Offline SSG

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obsessive thoughts walking pain??
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
Hi.  Can anyone here relate to obsessing about their gait?  I think about my walking and how to place my feet all day long.  It has caused serious pain in my right calf. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obsessive thoughts walking pain??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »
You will have to treat it as any other obsession. Obsessive thoughts an be about ANYTHING the mind can imagine. I used to obsess over my walking a few years back because I had what everyone seems to call "jelly legs." I felt like I was disassociated with the feeling in my legs. If I even used the correct word there. Felt as if I didnt have good strength in them, it just felt weird all the time. I also had this weird thing where I couldnt stop making my big toe stop rising and crossing over my 2nd toe every time I took a step. I went through alot of neurological disease fears when this went on. It has been gone for several years now.
I didnt do anything specific to get rid of my obsession. I guess it had just went on so long that I stopped fearing it and my mind moved on to find something else to obsess about.
Maybe you could just acknowledge the obsession when it comes to mind. Practice on your emotional response to the obsession. Dont try and fight the thought, just accept it as a thought and focus on breathing or something to move your attention elsewhere.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline SSG

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
Thanks Walnut!  That helps a lot.  It seems that when I first start walking there is no pain, but the longer I have time to analyze and obsess the worse it feels.  Its like I've forgotten how to walk properly.  I do try to relax and tell myself that nothing is wrong...sometimes that helps, but it comes back after another 15 steps or so.  Were there any meds or other therapies that helped you?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
i believe at that point in my life I had already weaned myself off all meds. When I had physical pain and the doctors couldnt give me an answer to what caused it I read a book by Dr. John Sarno called healing back pain: the mind body connection and another one I forget what it was . Well both of those books led me to Dr Howard Schubiner's work on the mind body connection. He actually has a book out called "unlearning your pain." the book will educate you on how the mind can cause chronic  physical pain, then it turns into a workbook. I accredit dr sarno and mostly dr schubiners program for helping me overcome several pains that I had been living with for years. It may sound like quackery to alot of people especially when they here something like "its all in your head" but the books will show you how it is in your head. The pain is real, very real but the cause may be mind related. I really wished I was better with words to give you a better description. DR sarno  coined it TMS. Tension Myositis Syndrome. You could google it and find some good info on it. If anyone ever tells you that the mind cant cause physical symptoms then ask them why do we blush when we are embaressed? Thats an emotion causing a physical symptom. Dr Sarno mentions anxiety and OCD in his books also.

I completely understand the feeling of forgetting how to walk properly. My obsession caused that also.
If you have seen a doctor and he has ruled out any cause for this then I would say it is safe to start approaching this as an obsession or symptom of anxiety. I think you will find that with time and once you lose the fearful reaction you have to the obsession that the symptoms will improve and then the obsession will go away.

Its just tough getting to that point where your just like, " ahhh f*$% it!"
i have also challenged obsessions and fears and come out on top by asking it for more. "Is that all you got?" telling the anxiety to give me its worst. I have said for many years that anxiety is like a bully. You have to take a stand at some point and tell it to bring it on. You may get knocked on your butt some days but you get back up and do it again. Once you take the fear away then its just a thought.  A bully finds pleasure in torturing the person who fears him, who runs from him. They dont like it when you fight back.  I hope this helps you in some way. Best wishes to you SSG
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline SSG

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
Thanks so much!  All good information.  I have read a little on Dr. Sarno...but I guess I just don't feel like all physical causes have been ruled out.  Though, I do notice the pain is much worse when my anxiety is high.  I have never read anything from the other guy.  I really appreciate all the good information.  I'm not going to let this bully win! :)

Bookmark and Share