Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: dealing with panic disorder without anti depressants?  (Read 291 times)

Offline mern182

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
dealing with panic disorder without anti depressants?
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
i've been dealing with GAD and panic disorder for the past 6 months, i couldn't even tell you how it started happening. i just broke down one day and that's when i had my first panic attack. for a week i stayed in my bed, i barely ate and i was afraid to do anything. i went to my primary care doctor and she gave me lexapro and xanax. i tried the lexapro for a couple days but hated it. it gave me the worst panic attacks i've ever experienced. i stuck to just using the xanax when i needed it, whether it was one at night, or one every other night. i was on .25. i thought i would get better on my own but clearly that was not the case. 6 months later, i am now seeing a psychiatrist. she told me that after talking to me, she doesn't find it necessary for me to be on an antidepressant, she said i could try it but it's optional. she gave me a prescription for klonopin, instead of xanax. she said if i choose not to do the anti depressant, i can just take the klonopin as needed/when i need to and stick with talk therapy with a psychologist. i told her i wanted to try the anti depressant and i did (it was zoloft) and the same thing happened with lexapro. i don't like the anxiety i get when starting an antidepressant, i'd rather just try and get through this without the use of anti depressants. my question is, is it possible?

if i start seeing a psychologist weekly, and take the klonopin if i need to, can i learn to live with this?
if you have learned to deal with your anxiety and panic, without medication please tell me your story!
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: dealing with panic disorder without anti depressants?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Hi Mern...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Mern...  The good news is that therapy. such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), can be as effective as medication for many people.  Because each of us are unique individuals, this does very from person to person, meaning that some will benefit from therapy, and others won't.

It is the same with anti-depressant.  Many will benefit from them, but some will find them ineffective.

By-the-way, it is important that you understand that the increase in anxiety and/or severity of panic attacks is a very common side effect when starting an anti-depressant.  When starting an AD in the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class (SSRI), such as Lexapro, serotonin levels in the brain are immediately increased.  This can cause side effects in many individuals.  These side effects are usually short lived, lasting only a few weeks.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone.  Good luck with your therapy (I am learning CBT too.).  The very best to you, Mern!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline LuLu82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »
Hi.

anti depressants have done nothing for my panic disorder and more specifically my phobic-centred anxiety/attacks(agoraphobia symptoms)
the only helpful things have been the anti anxiety meds and exposing myself to places I get panicky in.
I have not conquered it yet though, still working on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Are you starting high on the lexapro and zoloft? We panic sufferers have to start on very low doses and slowly go up.  I started on 20mg of paxil.  worst 7 days of my life...
Bookmark and Share