Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Chronic Constipation- bringing on terrible HA fears  (Read 146 times)

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Chronic Constipation- bringing on terrible HA fears
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
For about a month now, I've had chronic constipation daily with every bowel movement. Sometimes I am not able to pass any stools. I've been taking Metamucil capsules once a day with my multivitamin and it seems to help a little but not enough like they used to.

About 2 weeks ago, I went to the ER with severe lower abdominal pain after a horrible straining bowel movement. I was also vomiting with a fever and immediately though appendicitis. At the ER, several test were conducted ending with a CT scan of my abdomen. My appendix was fine but the CT revealed I had an ovarian cyst that had burst. Later when I followed up with my Gyn, he said he thinks the straining from my bowel movement caused the cyst to burst especially since the pain began immediately after the bowel movement.

At the ER, I told the doc my concerns about my constipation but he did not seem concerned. He did a rectal exam and said he did not feel any hard stools. He recommended I take a stool softener daily and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables along with more water.
However I am still terrified my constipation can mean something more serious. I know I shouldn't have googled but I did and the results were as always, alarming. Apparently constipation can mean I could have a serious condition such as Parkinson's, MS, colon cancer, or colitis.  :sprachlos020:

I should mention I am 26 now and had a colonoscopy at age 22 which came back clear. But it has been 4 years. Maybe I've developed something? So terrified! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chronic Constipation- bringing on terrible HA fears
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »
May I ask why you had a colonoscopy? I have been suffering from a dabilitating  fear if CC for over w year now. No constipation but bright red blood streaking on stool. Not all the time but occasionally. For constipation try Maralax. Once a day Mixed with your drink if choice. Also this works WONDERS. Try ground flax seed. Buy your own whole seeds from the grocery store and grind them at home in a coffee grinder. Add this to high fiber oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt anything. Flax seed is extremely high in fiber and a super food. Do about 1 TBS. I think this will really help you. Fiber supplements never helped my hard stools. Only Maralax or natural things like flax!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
Increase your consumption of water. If you are very worried, I would consult with a GI physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
There are many, MANY other things that can cause chronic constipation- I know because I have it. I also have hypothyroidism - which can cause chronic constipation and MS symptoms if you need an increase in your dose of medicine, as well as fatigue, depression, thin hair and nails, abnormal sensations throughout your extremities (numbness and tingling which can be confused with MS).

If you're very concerned, I would go see an MD and asked to get your thyroid hormones checked.

Try this - When my gallbladder was acting up, my doctor wanted me to get an ultrasound after an attack to see if there were any stones in there. (there were), but while I was waiting for the results to come back from the ultrasound, he had me on a strict fruits and vegetables diet only. As well as only water. And chronic constipation no more! So try it for 3 or 4 days. Eat only fruits and vegetables (Believe me, you'll be eating all. the. time, because you'll be super hungry) and see if it changes your stools. And again, if it doesn't - get your thyroid checked. It could be as simple as that - ESPECIALLY if you just had a colonoscopy 4 years ago - at your age, with a clean colonoscopy 4 years ago, your changes of colon cancer are nil.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: