Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My new obsession -Pulse Pressure. Mine is too low :(  (Read 322 times)

Offline melissas080

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My new obsession -Pulse Pressure. Mine is too low :(
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »
I have been feeling super short of breath lately, a lot of air hunger. I went to my dr he ran blood work and everything was fine. My BP has been wonky, i have a cuff at home and it reads 100/85 ., 95/74, 102/83 ...which indicates a low pulse pressure, every single time I take it..my pulse pressure, which is the two numbers subtracted, is low. It is supposed to be 40. I am wondering if my birth control pills could be causing the bottom number to be higher or if I am in heart failure and that is why I am having such shortness of breath. I go back to the drs next week, and I am just a disaster. Does anything know anything about this pulse pressure?? SHould I go to the ER?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My new obsession -Pulse Pressure. Mine is too low :(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
I've never heard of subtracting the numbers. Clinically low bp I think is  under 90/60.  Are you on BP meds?  Unless your fainting then I don't think its a problem, but I'm not a dr.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
I've never heard of subtracting the number either. I monitor my BP at home and my cuff gives my pulse rate. My BP is usually around 110/70 with a pulse of anywhere from 75-95. I would get a cuff that gives a separate pulse reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
Your BOTTOM numbers are great, the top number is a little low (depending on your age).  There can't be any problem with the heart with such a low top number.  If you are a teenager then that top number isn't too low.
Bookmark and Share

Offline melissas080

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am not a teen, I am 33...have 3 children. My BP always ran low,  both numbers..until i had my son 9 months ago. Thats when I started to notice an increase in my BP...i did start a birth control pill around then too. I cannot stop obsessing over this and have taken my BP so much my arms are starting to bruise! I cant help but fear that my heart is failing with such a low pulse pressure. It is consistently in the 20s. I wish this feeling would just go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:51 PM »
My bp is much lower than yours. I have never heard if subtracting the two numbers. Count your pulse if you want to know how many beats per minute. I fainted all the time while pregnant it was scary. Your fine. You will feel light headed with black spots if it's too low. I don't think yours is low though just a very healthy number.
Bookmark and Share

Offline melissas080

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »
I just stumbled upon the thing called pulse pressure by accident, and have been obsessing over it, it is different than blood pressure...according to all the websites when you subtract the two numbers it should be between 30-40. Too high is bad and too low is bad. Too low means poor heart function and weak pulse, heart failure. Mine is consistently 22-27 ...tonight my readings have been 100/74, 100/76, 99/76  and a few others. I have just taken my BP way too much. I am totally freaking out..i keep trying to tell myself, that my dr said my heart sounded just fine, and no crackling sounds that would be indicative of congestive heart failure. My machine does read pulse and its been in the 80s.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
If this was true and reliable, it would be something doctors and people in general would know about and measure but since it seems very obscure I can't imagine its accepted medical information yet.

Besides, your top number will fluctuate so taking a differential at any one time can't be useful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »
Please, for your own sanity, stop taking your blood pressure so much!

I know it's hard and that you're concerned, but the constant monitoring is only making your anxiety worse.

Limit your checking to once a day; hide your monitor; go run it over with your car. Do whatever it takes to set limits on yourself so that you're not tempted to check it to the point of hurting your arm. Trust me, right now your mental health is doing much worse than your heart health.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
I had no idea what you were talking about so I did some research.  This is something new to me.
If it's been like this for some time already I don't think you have to race to an ER or anything, and it sounds as if you already TALKED to your doctor about this.  If he were concerned he definitely would have sent you home with some kind of monitor to wear.
It also said that too HIGH is bad.  My mom's was 160/60 (which a PP of 100 is HIGH and BAD) and the doctor said, "Hey, you should play that number in the lottery"  No concern at all.  Mine is consistently about 60-75, again told my BP is great.   I think you are doing too much analyzing of things that you don't understand (and neither do I!) Unless we had a medical degree we should stay away from sites and give any of our concerns to our doctor.   You could even call your doc, tell the nurse what you are concerned about, she'd relay the message, if it was bad they'd have you come in. (but you already DID talk to him about this, so...)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Your blood pressure is great. Anything between 90/65 and 120/90 is considered "normal". My pressure top number is usually between 95-105 and my bottom number is between 55-65. Totally normal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: