Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin only thing that works for me.  (Read 216 times)

Offline banjo

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin only thing that works for me.
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »
Hello,

I have social anxiety and familiar tremor. The tremor effects my left arm only and my left leg sometimes. I started out with Zoloft and after some time on Zoloft I started to notice a tremor in my left arm. Also with any physical activity the toes on my left foot would curl under.  I was taken off Zoloft and put on wellbutrin. The tremor got worse but didn't notice my toes curling under. I was then run thru a whole bunch of ssri's and others. Nothing worked. Some of them came with new problems, paxil gave me nose bleeds and so I just gave up. I was put on klonopin a few times when starting out on new meds. But it was only for a week. I would be doing ok until I stopped the klonopin. I talked my doctor into just letting me do a low dose of klonopin  (.5) a day. It really worked well did not stop the tremor completely and no toes curling under. My last doctors visit he wanted me to try trazodone along with the klonopin. I stated out at .50 of trazodone and worked up to 150. I was only at the 150 dose for about 3 days and the same thing happen again. I was doing some work outside and noticed my toes curl under on my left foot. Plus the next day was sitting watching tv and my nose started bleeding really bad. It scared me bad! So I called into the doctors office and told them what was going on. They called me back and told me to stop the trazodone. I told them I'm done with antidepressants! I told them that klonopin has been the only thing that had helped with the tremor and the anxiety. They said I could take .5 twice a day ( in the morning and again in the evening) They did this because I said that the klonopin I took in the morning didn't seem to last the whole day. I could feel it wear off by the evening. So I started doing some reading on Klonopin and I'm not sure I want to take it twice a day. All the terrible stories of dependency and horrible withdrawal. I have been on klonopin for about 5 months now. Just not sure what to do. Klonopin is the only thing that helps with tremor with no side effects. I feel like just giving up. The one thing that helps me could hurt me in the long run. Very frustrated! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin only thing that works for me.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
Welcome to AnxietyZone,

All the terrible stories of dependency and horrible withdrawal. I have been on klonopin for about 5 months now.

Which means you are almost certainly dependent on it to some extent and will need to wean off it. The stories about difficult withdrawals are much overblown. Try and find them from epileptics who take Klonopin at much higher doses, 10mg/day would be the average, 20mg not unheard of, yet withdrawal is much less of an issue in that patient cohort. The difference is that most don't have an anxiety disorder to contend with when quitting.

Just not sure what to do. Klonopin is the only thing that helps with tremor with no side effects.

Have anti seizure meds like gabapentin (Neurontin) or pregabalin (Lyrica) been tried? If not they would be worth a shot. Pregabalin is the better of the two, but cost may be an issue as it's still under patent.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline banjo

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin only thing that works for me.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
I have been on primidone  and propranolol. They did not help me. I tried taking the klonopin .5 in the morning and again in the evening for a couple days. It made me feel over medicated. So I will just stick to my one dose in the morning. I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple weeks. I will not go back on an antidepressant. I had enough of the roller coaster ride of being sick while on them and being sick while coming off them! I'm 49 yrs old and if klonopin (with moderation) helps give me some good years I might just have to hope that it works.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: