Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid I inhaled some of my burrito! can someone please ease my mind?  (Read 120 times)

Offline meganx0x0

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I was eating chipotle and I got the hot sauce on it. While I was eating it my son came up from behind me and scared the ***** out of me. I had chewed up food in my mouth and definitely took a breath. The hot sauce burned what I think is my trachea (breathing tube). What will happen if small food particles are in my lungs? I'm not having coughing fits, but my chest feels tight (it always does) and I have vertigo from low ear pressure due to allergies. So I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid I inhaled some of my burrito! can someone please ease my mind?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
Generally, had anything really tried to head down the wrong pipe, you would have coughed/choked and brought it back up. The glottis is there for that reason. It closes the airway so food doesn't get inside.

Can food get into your lungs? Yes. This is more often seen with people who have OD'd or are drunk or intoxicated though because like I said - cough reflex is very good in the normal adult. Worse case scenario is probably pneumonia. But it's highly, highly unlikely, and quite frankly, I wouldn't even bother worrying about it at ALL.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline meganx0x0

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid I inhaled some of my burrito! can someone please ease my mind?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense. My mind has made me nuts. I'm trying to take deep breaths to see if I'm wheezing, wondering why my throat is hurting. Even though, that hot sauce was hella hot and when I was coughing I probably irritated my throat. I just can't shut my head off.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: