Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What is existential anxiety?  (Read 314 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is existential anxiety?
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:08:02 PM »
So I took a few anxiety tests online, and all of them said I had moderate existential (sorry if I spelled wrong) anxiety.  Can't say I've ever heard of it, can anyone give me an explanation in laymen's terms. 

Thank You So Much! :)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is existential anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
Hi CarrieAnn...

When we as human beings begin to search for answers to life's biggest questions such as "Who am I?" or "Why am I here?", this can lead to a sense of worry, dread, and/or panic.  This is what is considered existential anxiety.

When individuals deeply contemplate their existence, existential anxiety can arise.  This contemplation leads to thoughts and feelings of freedom and responsibility, which burden the individual to find a purpose in life, and to live genuinely according to this purpose.  Besides anxiety, feelings of alienation, isolation, and a heightened awareness of mortality may also exist.

Like any form of anxiety, when existential anxiety begins to impair one's daily function or begins to manifest as emotional or physical pain, medication and/or talk therapy should be considered.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

As always, CarrieAnn, the very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline turbomunkey

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
Well said mobile

I have been dealing with it for almost a year now. Get as much support as possible. I have not seen anyone or used an medication. Some really bad days
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
Well, I think this describes me perfectly!  The physical pain is absolutely unbearable at times; searching for my life's purpose has been a constant thing on my mind for a long, long time.  Mortality, yep, I can honestly say I ponder it on a daily basis, probably. 

Now, since I am starting my Celexa tonight, does anyone recommend psychological therapy in addition?

Bookmark and Share

Offline angsty

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
I deal with existential anxiety a lot except for me it manifests in the form of "There is no point to even having anxiety. Eventually, we all die anyway so why bother?" Of course, that doesn't stop the anxiety, but I do think about that. I also think about not having achieved my life purpose and being anxious about that, which then leads to the "but does it really matter, why bother" thoughts and on and on it goes. You're not alone in feeling this particular type of anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
This is the age old question that has sent many a soul into the shrink's office. Despite our presumed advances, we have no more knowledge in this regard now than ages ago. That's why religions are so popular.

I enjoy thinking about this issue and reading philosophy, writings in religion, in psychology, etc. Do we know any more today with all our fancy science? Don't think so. The pursuit is as intriguing as ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
I have been thinking about what my purpose in life is for years....having children didn't happen for me (devastatingly), so that made me ask myself, 'what am I supposed to do now?' Things went awry in my marriage, when I 'thought' it would be a fairy tale.  But, I would say after the problems in my marriage happened was when I had sort of a slap in the face of, ok, what is my life all about?.  Things were not what they were supposed to be, that was when my anxiety became full blown.

I do think of mortality a lot, especially after losing my Mom in 2012 and my brother in law eight months later----but I always thought about it prior to them passing.  After they passed though I wondered why they had to pass, and were their lives lived accordingly--or lived to the fullest.  I could go more in depth to my existential thoughts, but there is to much to write :)

Yes, I think I do have this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline turbomunkey

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
Take comfort in the fact you are addressing these things now and not after you have little ones in the picture.

That is a positive for me. I am 24 and have wanted to marry and have kids all my life. The thought of having that right now while I am struggling to clear this hurdle in my life is gut wrenching.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »
If I understand them, the big names do not put marriage or children up there as solutions. The big novelists, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, for example, or others, turn to the higher power, or to booze, or gambling, or adultery, etc. If we sit around and Wait for Godot (Samuel Beckett), it's a waste, unless we enjoy sitting around doing nothing.

Enjoyment is the best antidote, is how I see it. We are here, may as well enjoy it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
I agree Tina, that could be what the purpose of life is after all, to learn how to enjoy it despite whatever troubles come our way--then we will have taken it (life) by the horns and actually lived it.  Lessons can be learned, experience can come, we can evolve--change for the better.  Also I think change for the better begins with us from the inside---we can never change others, and it can be frustrating to try, but we can bring a positive change to the world by working on ourselves first. 

I have always been in pursuit of something to do with my life, making a name for myself....something to be proud of, a career or just a job.  But I had a counselor advise me, 'you don't need a College degree or a career to be something...you are enough without it'.  That was the best advice ever!

So the purpose is, to just be :)
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Yes, yes. Now this isn't always as easy as it may sound. Hence the enormous attention paid to existentialism. In today's world where all manner of success stories may be paraded in front of us, we need ever greater inner grounding. Always a great topic.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: