Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.  (Read 261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bpadilla49

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 491
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
Why oh why does my mind freak out like this?

Someone please tell me that I can't get the N. Fowleri (aka brain eating amoeba) from a drop of pepsi going up my nose! I accidentially splashed some in there today - and it had melted (water) ice in it - filtered from our fridge.

Please, someone tell me that I'm totally nuts and there's no reason to be worried about contracting N. fowleri this way.

It didn't burn like it does when you get water wayy up your nose, and I blew my nose immediately (my allergies are acting up right now, so it wasn't hard), but it doesn't stop the freak out session.

Blah.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: cs
  • Rec's: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
It's possible  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 491
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
Seriously?
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 379
  • Country: us
  • Rec's: 4
  • Gender: Female
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
What's possible and what's probable are different. Is it possible? Theoretically, yes. Is it likely? Absolutely not. Did you get it? No.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Rasalhauge

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 239
  • Country: se
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Why oh why does my mind freak out like this?

Someone please tell me that I can't get the N. Fowleri (aka brain eating amoeba) from a drop of pepsi going up my nose! I accidentially splashed some in there today - and it had melted (water) ice in it - filtered from our fridge.

Please, someone tell me that I'm totally nuts and there's no reason to be worried about contracting N. fowleri this way.

It didn't burn like it does when you get water wayy up your nose, and I blew my nose immediately (my allergies are acting up right now, so it wasn't hard), but it doesn't stop the freak out session.

Blah.

No you have not contracted N.Fowleri from Pepsi and a splash of tapwater. Although N.Fowleri isn´t indigenous to a specific region in the world (as far as I know) chances that you would contract it is so remote that it is to be considered non-existent. There has been 300 confirmed cases of N.Fowleri-based infections since 1965 (if Wiki is correct), 300(!) cases in close to 50 years is extremely rare. Extrapolate that number to the billions of people in the world and you get a impossible scenario. You´re OK!=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Hypo84

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: cs
  • Rec's: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:56:55 PM »
Of course I am not serious, jesus   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 491
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
I guess it's the thought that it's possible that's causing me to worry. I try to rationalize it by saying a few things:

1) Water (or liquid) has to go WAYY up your nose, and I don't believe it did for me because it didn't burn like it normally would.
2) Probably hundreds or thousands of people use neti pots everyday with regular tap water and they don't get it.
3) Hundreds or thousands of people go swimming everyday and get water up their nose and don't get it.
4) My ice was from filtered water out of the fridge which is known to kill cysts.

...Still freaking out. I'm afraid I'll freak out for the next week.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: cs
  • Rec's: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
You'll freak out forever if you don't go to therapy or start taking some meds. Whenever some liquid goes into your nose, which is inevitable, you will freak out.

Threat your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 260
  • Country: us
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
Irrational fear here. I've been down this road with the amoeba. I live in Texas (state where N. Fowleri is most prevalent) and I irrigated my sinuses with a neti pot using tap water. This was almost 3 months ago. I'm still here.

Is it "possible" you could have been infected? Sure. But it is also possible that you could win the lottery and on your way home get struck by lightning all in the same day. Probable VS. Possible = big difference.

Another poster said 300 cases in the last 50 years. BUT - only 132 of those were in the United States. If those numbers don't set your mind at ease, I don't know what will. Besides, N. Fowleri comes from warm stagnant freshwater like a warm sand bottom lake in the summer time for example.

Another thing to consider - n. fowleri is fragile. I don't know the science behind this and I could be wrong... But couldn't the acidity of the Pepsi killed it even if it was in there? Just a curious question, I could be wrong but in any event...

You have NOT. N O T been infected. Bottom line.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline bpadilla49

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 491
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pepsi and brain eating amoeba...again.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
Thanks AP.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
1126 Views
Last post March 19, 2013, 06:21:47 PM
by oregoncoastlady
6 Replies
1603 Views
Last post August 11, 2013, 02:41:58 AM
by Nexus500
23 Replies
795 Views
Last post January 03, 2014, 03:45:57 AM
by opheliaaa
10 Replies
539 Views
Last post April 14, 2014, 04:27:52 AM
by StoryOfMyLife
6 Replies
283 Views
Last post April 01, 2014, 04:01:50 PM
by Hypo84