Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Re-committing to cognitive behavioral therapy  (Read 98 times)

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re-committing to cognitive behavioral therapy
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »
So back in the fall when the anxiety first really bit hard I bought a CBT workbook and started in on that. When depression followed I lost all motivation to keep up with CBT because I felt like I was just using all my energy trying to stay afloat in life. Thankfully the depression has been completely alleviated, and I kept up with periodically journaling, but CBT was left by the wayside in favor of increased sleep and exercise. Which I don't regret. I'm feeling better yet ironically the anxiety symptoms themselves have not really improved. So I've decided to re-commit to CBT. I'm not working with a dedicated CBT therapist, but my psychiatrist is awesome and always takes at least a half an hour at our appointments so I'm kind of one step between CBT self-help and full fledged CBT.

I am finding it very time consuming which is a challenge, but I'm trying to make a point to work on it every day on my lunch breaks. Even though, again, the sum total of my anxiety hasn't really diminished to this point I've found past CBT exercises did result in less negative self-thoughts, or at least I'd catch myself and stop, so hopefully more dedicated practice will get me somewhere. Well, that and a medication change.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
Re: Re-committing to cognitive behavioral therapy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
Any kind of therapy has to come with a lot of belief. Belief in what you are doing. Or else it would be pointless. Much like any religion. If you didn't believe in the God what point would you have for prayers or going near a church. When we look at the anxious mind it is a series of thoughts that are really causing the main problems. You get this thought in your head. Might have felt hot. You think something must be wrong. What do you do next? You react to that thought. The anxious mind would react in a negative way. This in turn brings about the symptoms you feel. Now what if you thought in a different way when you first felt hot? Not that something was badly wrong. Could simply be the heat is up too high. Or maybe you have been walking and when you walk you get hot. More positive reasons as to why you came over all hot. Once you change that thought you won't react in a negative way. You will react in a more positive way. Once dictated by how you thought. Thus you have a good reason for feeling hot. So the symptoms part of things won't come about either. They are all linked together come the end of the day. With the help of therapy you are trying to alter part of that chain. By doing so the rest will alter by itself. Thus it is worth sticking at it. Results may not be instant. There is that fear factor there at first. Fear of letting go and trusting in what you are doing. Like a kid learning how to walk. Fear of letting go of the person supporting them in case they fall over. You won't want to fall. So you will still hold part of that fear for some time. It is like starting at the bottom again. Learning all over again how to do things. Things we once used to do without any problems at all. The skills are still there. We have just forgotten how to use them.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: