Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: When do you go to a doctor?  (Read 135 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When do you go to a doctor?
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
With HA it can be hard to decipher when is a serious thing: Do you ignore, go to your normal doctor, or head straight to ER? When is something the real deal rather than anxiety.

Lately I've been trying to ignore everything as "Oh, it's just stress" but there's that worry in the back of your mind that it isn't and you're neglecting yourself. Most people get heart palpitations and it's abnormal so they go to ER but I get them and just wait. I had them constantly in late January and throughout February so I assume they're benign. I put on my headphones and ignore them. I've been getting an ache in the middle of my chest on and off for a few days now but I keep on passing it off as gas troubles rather than a heart issue. I did wonder today if I should get it checked out but it's happened a few times and I'm fine so.. I get breathing issues but I also assume IBS or stress.

Me and my grandma were talking about chest pains yesterday. We both recently got normal EKG's lately but she gets them and assumes heart attack, I get them and assume nothing much. A few weeks ago I would have worried like her but now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When do you go to a doctor?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
I HATE going to the Dr so I won't go unless I don't have another choice, that is, that I'm so sick, I have to. 

I only utilize the ER if it's a true emergency…for me, that's been once in the last 20 years.  I was having a severe reaction to pain medicine and needed treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When do you go to a doctor?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
I go when I have visible symptoms like a rash or lump, a pain that's not getting better and interfering with my life (like I can't walk, carry things, etc), or the symptoms themselves are otherwise interfering with my life.  Occasionally I do go because HA has convinced me that something really not that scary is scary, but I try not to do that if I can avoid it. 

I also go in the rare instances when it's been over a year since my last visit just to get checked out.  I think that's happened like once in my life...the doctor's assistant actually looked at my record and said "18 months since you were last here?!  That can't be right!"  What can I say, they know me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: