Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ocd about possession  (Read 305 times)

Offline zipw

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ocd about possession
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
Hey! I am 29, and i have ocd for about 20 years. I am not from an english speaking country so sorry if i don't write correct :-) I've had intrusive thoughts for a long time now, but the last 1,5 its been really heavy. I'm in a daily struggle with myself. My fear is being possessed by the devil.. I am not a religious person at all, i just saw the exorcist when i was 10 so i think thats where my fear came from. when a light go on, when i have a headache, when someone says the word devil, i think that its a sign that there is something wrong with me. Does anyone else have this kind of ocd thoughts? How do you deal with this superstition kind of ocd, its really difficult because you can't prove you're wrong..

thanks
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ocd about possession
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Hello zipw,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

zipw, many people here struggle with intrusive thoughts.  I'm sure you will find support here at AZ.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline StudentOfHope

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Hi Zipw!

Wow, it seems there's a lot of resemblance to obsessive thoughts I've dealt with/deal with here lately.  Another individual posts about his fear of schizophrenia, and now you with the possession post.

I grew up with a parent who was fanatically religious (Catholic) as well as went to Catholic school.  I don't tend to practice religion now, and my belief in a God tends to come and go..so I would say I am agnostic (someone who does not know for sure whether or not there is a higher power).

Anyway, given my upbringing, I too had fear of possession, and it manifested itself alongside my fears of going crazy...so talk about anxiety!!  I agree with what you're saying, that, because some groups of people (religious or otherwise) belief in possession, it is hard to contest whether or not it is real... BUT:

Think about this: the bible (as an example) is a book written by many different people over years and years, who were trying to make sense out of things that did not make sense, such as skin disease, blindness, foaming at the mouth (rabies or epilepsy or even, mental illness?!!) and so the natural result of their belief system is that anything misunderstood or things that "look" or "appear" crazy are of the devil.  After much scientific research, we know this is not true.  If you were to do some research online, science contests possession in that, people who appear possessed are likely suffering from psychosis or physical symptoms of a disease... etc..  IN other words, it is highly unlikely.

So, the cognitive behavioral way of treatment to deal with this is to say to yourself, maybe I am possessed.  Maybe I am going to be (insert thought or fear here)... and to deal with the unknown. I truly see OCD as a way of asserting control over our lives- people with OCD do not like to feel out of control because of the level of anxiety it produces.  So we fight it off by checking with others if we are sane, or with others over their obsessions/anxieties and fears.  But, if we were to let go of our close grip over control, we will likely feel a bit better.

I don't know whether this information helps you at all... I certainly hope so.  I have had this fear for many years too, and am still here and functioning very well. :)  No possessions to report yet.  I will let you know if anything changes. ;)

All kidding aside, I hope you feel better soon.  Without knowing your background (you'd mentioned English is a second language) or cultural history, it is harder to help you maybe, because I don't know all of the things that make you who you are- including religion, your social circle etc.

Best wishes!
Andrea

Bookmark and Share

Offline sdd

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
I just went through this fear.  My fears tend to change from time to time.  The last 6 months was a fear of possession.  I just recently started feeling better about things.  It may be a little different for me, as I am a christian and I do believe that possession can occur (although it is rare).  I talked to a pastor about it and he helped me see that my fear was irrational.  I have been doing better for the past few weeks now. 

I'm sorry that you are going through this.  Is there a therapist you can talk to about it?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: OCD pure o possession