Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How long for Buspirone to be out of your system? also trazodone question  (Read 177 times)

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have been taking Buspirone since March 21st.  I was slowly upped my dose and now am up to 10mg twice a day.  I take it at 7am and 5pm.   I notice I feel a lot more relaxed in the late afternoon before my 5pm dose.  And my brain isn't constantly running.  I'm curious about this.  Is the medicine actually making me more anxious with a running mind or is it just building up in my system?  Why do I feel better 6 or so hours after taking it?  I heard it is only in your system for 2-3 hours.   I also have been having bad insomnia since starting this med.  My Dr. prescribed me 50 mg of Trazadone to help with sleep.   I am going to most likely start that tonight but only 25mg first.   I also asked her if it is okay that I only take it as needed and not every night and she said it is fine.  Anyone have any experience with Trazodone for sleep?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
I heard it is only in your system for 2-3 hours.

Not quite. Half of it is metabolized and eliminated every 2-3 hours, so after 6 hours you have between an eighth and a quarter still active.

Why do I feel better 6 or so hours after taking it?

A good question without an obvious good answer. Maybe it is the time when your bio-rhythms have you at your calmest, the placebo effect, etc.

I am going to most likely start that tonight but only 25mg first.

A good call, but be aware that doubling the dose won't produce twice the sedation as the higher the dose the less sedating trazodone becomes until at about 225-300mg/day there isn't much. However, at doses of about 100mg plus the sedation may continue into the next morning producing a hangover effect, so the best sedation range for most is <=75mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well I took 50 mg of Trazodone last night for sleep.  Took it at 9pm with a bowl of cereal.  It didn't do anything for me.  I tossed and turned and laid there.  I ended up taking 0.5 Ativan around midnight and fell asleep.   :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Well I took 50 mg of Trazodone last night for sleep.  Took it at 9pm with a bowl of cereal.

Taking it with food doubles the time needed for trazodone to be absorbed, and significantly decreases the peak plasma level. Next time try it on an empty stomach. Eating just before going to sleep can also make it more difficult to fall asleep.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have a lot of experience with Trazodone having experienced some bad insomnia over the past year.

It can be very effective for sleep and "deep" sleep.

I find 25 mg does very little - for me -  in terms of sedation; I need at least 50 mg minimally and every addition 25 mg further helps sedation as I have been as high as 150 mg, but found too many side effects once I went past 100 mg.

However, I find Trazodone increases my anxiety and this has been the case eery time I go on it.  I've had four (and almost five) panic attacks in my life and each time it was on Trazodone.  When I am not taking it, my overall anxiety drops significantly.  It sucks as it works really well for sleep for me, but I have been sleeping much better lately and not even taking anything for it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: