Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone trying "alternative" medicine?  (Read 400 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
Anyone trying "alternative" medicine?
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »
 Serious question, has anyone on here tried medical marijuana? I know it's only legal in a few states, but I really am curious about it. I happen to live right next to one of the legal states and at this point I'm almost willing to try anything (except my cymbalta cause it scares the crap out of me). You can privately message me if you don't want to publicly share. I'm just feeling a little lost and hopeless lately. Lots of family members are leaving on trips to other states and Jamaica in one case and I'm freaking out about it all. My panic attacks are so much worse and my anxiety is so much harder to control when my safe people are a town over let states and an ocean :( Just totally overwhelmed lately....
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline e77

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone trying "alternative" medicine?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
In my opinion, marijuana is not a good drug to control anxiety. It can do the opposite and trigger more and intense panic/anxiety. I don't think there is ant medical study that promotes marijuana for mental health.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
I've actually been reading a lot of things stating that it can in fact help with the anxiety, that was why I was wondering if anyone here had actually tried it. The unfortunate thing is, is that most medications the doctors put people on to control or help with the panic/anxiety can cause it to get worse or the side effects themselves are worse than the problem they're supposed to help. Not trying to cause a stir, but I am curious and I am trying to collect as much information and knowledge as possible while dealing with this.
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline theguy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
that stuff caused people to have panic attacks. maybe if might some people think it works but I know people you smoked it and afterwards their anxiety and panic started.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:58:46 AM »
I used to smoke pot. But then I had my panic disorder start. It wasnt from the pot though; the cause of my panic was completely unrelated (and I hadnt smoked for over a month at that time, so literally zero chance it was the drug.) . But because of how getting high felt, that would trigger panic. Its the same reason I don't drink or anything.

So yeah. Even if the panic is not a result of smoking pot, the feelings associated with panic can easily manifest once its in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 96
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
It may be true that pot helps some people with certain serious health issues. From what I've read, anxiety is not one of them. In fact, it can cause anxiety or exacerbate it.

I stay away from it, yet voted for legalization, a seeming contradiction. Why did I vote for it? To cut out the underground. The comparison to alcohol is a good one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I smoked it repeatedly over a 4-5 year period , ate it in brownies, and inhaled through pipes and bongs, probably several hundred times over that period of time and I remember vividly the night I had a panic attacks after smoking heavily.  One of the worst night of my life, thought I was losing my mind.  Was it the cause of my anxiety/panic?  I don't know for sure as I've always had an anxious personality but the weed was a trigger for the panic I experienced.  I never had a panic attack before that night.  I would not use it for anxiety/panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr.PP

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
Depends on what kind of weed you smoke... Weed high in THC causes mayor panic (most recreational weed), weed high in CBD calms you down (medicinal weed).. But if I were you I won't smoke it at all.. IMO it worsens anxiety over a longer period
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hummingbird83

• Just Joined!
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:16 AM »
Serious question, has anyone on here tried medical marijuana? I know it's only legal in a few states, but I really am curious about it. I happen to live right next to one of the legal states and at this point I'm almost willing to try anything (except my cymbalta cause it scares the crap out of me). You can privately message me if you don't want to publicly share. I'm just feeling a little lost and hopeless lately. Lots of family members are leaving on trips to other states and Jamaica in one case and I'm freaking out about it all. My panic attacks are so much worse and my anxiety is so much harder to control when my safe people are a town over let states and an ocean :( Just totally overwhelmed lately....

I've smoked pot for my anxiety and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I think it all depends on the type, I'm not a pro on the different types and strains of it but I had found some that actually made it not so bad. But there was some that one hit and it triggered a bad attack.

I haven't tried any of the medical pot yet, not legal in my state, but I heard good things about it from friends and family in Colorado that has helped their GAD.

IMO I would say give it a try, what can it hurt. I think it is less harmful than all the meds the doctors are pushing and plus I've never heard of anyone dying from it. Good luck and PM me if you would like to chat more about it. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: