Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: fear of doctors and medical  (Read 238 times)

Offline zelda11

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fear of doctors and medical
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
I have a terrible doctor phobia.   6 years ago I had such awful symptoms that I forced myself to go to a doctor.   I had episodes where I couldn't breathe.   I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.   I haven't had any follow up tests since then but I have to see my cardiologist yearly in order to get the meds I need.

Each time I see her she badgers me into seeing a primary care physician.   Tomorrow I am going to one.   I am terrified.   I am sure that she will find something wrong with me.   I know she will pressure me into getting tests like a mammogram and colonoscopy neither of which I have ever had.   Doubt that I could force myself into getting them either.

Is there anyone out there like me?

I am totally stressed out tonight.

Zelda11
Bookmark and Share

Offline zelda11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of doctors and medical
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I am sitting here, literally terrified because I have to leave for my appointment in about two hours.  I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me out with some support or at least let me know that I'm not alone....but it appears that I am.

I don't know how I'll get through this.  I'm sure that I have all kinds of problems and I am so afraid.

Zelda11
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
Hi Zelda and welcome to Forums!  :action-smiley-065:

You are most certainly not alone. Most people here will understand what you're going through. We all face different phobias and try our best to deal with them.

My advice would be to of course go and get the tests done. So you can prepare to stay strong and beat whatever you might have. Get to know your 'enemy', what you're up against. I'm referring to your heart condition there. Other fears are at this points catastrophizing thoughts, flooding your mind.

You will get through it and you will be so proud of yourself later. Good luck and keep us posted  :winking0008:.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline lin14534

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
Zelda11 - I am a lot like you.  So petrified of doctors and all the tests they put you through that I avoid them at all costs.  Actually not all.  I do go for my mammograms every year (even though I fret and worry about it a month in advance), and my gyn appts, but I haven't been to my primary doctor in 4 yrs.  I have had a few friends that have gone and found terrible things from having their blood tests that it scares the heck out of me.  I know it's not rational and that eventually I'll have to go but just thinking about it can bring on terrible anxiety - don't know how I am going to get over this.  I am seeing a psychologist now regarding this but am not seeing any improvement in my thoughts regarding this particular phobia.

Let us know how your dr appt came out.   
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
My BIGGEST FEAR of all doctors and testing and setting in waiting rooms with sick people and wondering what will I take home after learning I am going to die... I hate to go and rarely do only to see my family doctor every 6 months and do my lab work for my meds.. I panic and shake and have to make my husband take me. I haven't been to the dentist in about 6 years now.. :(.. I have mental and physical health problems and I don't want to know anymore but I know I need help with this and to get healthier just wish it was easier..
Good Luck to you and I bet everything will be just fine.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Tags: