Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: SNRI vs. SSRI, Is an SNRI promising?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: SNRI vs. SSRI, Is an SNRI promising?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
Well based on your knowledge, do people take SNRIs while tapering from a SSRI? interactions aren't typically a problem? I'm not going to act based on what you tell me, I'm just curious as to what is typical. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow to clarify what he wants me to do.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
Well based on your knowledge, do people take SNRIs while tapering from a SSRI?

Usually, they are tapered off the SSRI while tapering onto the SNRI (or vice versa). However, where there is a problem with a med then it can be better to discontinue one antidepressant before starting the other so there is no confusion about which is causing the problem. The downside is that this takes much longer and may subject the patient to weeks of coping first with withdrawal effects and then startup side-effects. 

Personally, except when MAOI class antidepressants are involved, I think cross tapering is the best option in most cases.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »
He meant to cross taper. he meant to wean off of the viibryd while taking the cymbalta. There's a problem going on now that is hard to ignore. I am pretty sure I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the viibryd. the tapering plan is 40 every other day for a week and then 10 every day for a week. I am scared that I won't be able to get off of viibryd... and if I keep taking cymbalta wouldn't that raise my risk for complications as the cymbalta builds a blood level in my system...

so if the cymbalta goes up in my blood...what do I do about the viibryd if the withdrawals are awful? or does the cymbalta built up in my blood compensate for the viibryd going down?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
what do I do about the viibryd if the withdrawals are awful? or does the cymbalta built up in my blood compensate for the viibryd going down?

Yes, that is what is supposed to happen.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:28:29 PM »
Well it seems that's what is happening. The viibryd chemical is leaving my system successfully, IMO. The backlash is apparent, however. The benefits from the viibryd go with the drug leaving, so I think there's a tough transition going on. After I began the new pills, I felt a sense of hope and I even felt some ups at times. Now I feel like crap, and I really am doubting that's placebo because I know these pills can have pretty quick effects on people.

What is your take on Lamictal? I know it's not only a bipolar medication, but is it a good depression medication? I researched that it actually prevents depression. Obviously it has not been an adequate amount of time on these drugs whatsoever. It's been a week and four days approximately. That's a fraction of the time it takes for neurogenesis and for the lamictal to take effect.

So, how will I know when and if these pills yield positive results? and when should i even expect start up side effects to subside? I know startup anxiety and depression is a commonality. They can actually worsen things before making things great. so...any advice? This transition feels like it's gonna be one heck of a journey.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
What is your take on Lamictal? I know it's not only a bipolar medication, but is it a good depression medication? I researched that it actually prevents depression.

It may prevent/delay bipolar disorder switching from the manic to depressive stage.

So, how will I know when and if these pills yield positive results?

When the depression lifts.

when should i even expect start up side effects to subside?

Anywhere from hours to several weeks. It is impossible to predict.

This transition feels like it's gonna be one heck of a journey.

Perhaps. But try and avoid talking yourself into making it so. The mind can produce the full catastrophe of your worst fears if given half a chance.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
I don't want to gain weight. I really don't, it's not fair that I seek treatment but get heavier as a result. Im scared I'll gain weight
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
I don't want to gain weight. I really don't, it's not fair that I seek treatment but get heavier as a result. Im scared I'll gain weight

You should discuss these concerns with your doctor, however, weight gain is by no means a given.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
The doctor said there's no reason to move me up on either of the medications because it matters how I am doing. He said 30 should be given 6 weeks for cymbalta. He did not say anything regarding lamictal.

How long should I give lamictal anyway? and thanks again for your insight Ian.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
How long should I give lamictal anyway?

It usually begins working within 4-5 days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »
It's been about three weeks of lamictal and cymbalta and I feel like crap. I'm just feeling very crappy. My brain feels like it's essentially not working and I just don't feel like myself. How much longer should I give these drugs? I just don't know what to do anymore. I want to be happy
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »
How much longer should I give these drugs?

I think you need to give the Cymbalta at least 6 weeks, 8 would be even better. You should be getting the maximum out of the current Lamictal dose by now.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
At 30 mg? because that's what he said. he said moving up isn't necessary until you give 30 mg six weeks to take effect. Would a dose increase to 60 even make the process faster and less painful? and the lamictal dose im on isn't even high. I wonder if I should move up on it
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
At 30 mg? because that's what he said. he said moving up isn't necessary until you give 30 mg six weeks to take effect.

Most do need to take 60mg for the full therapeutic effect, but it might pay to see how you react to 30mg.

Would a dose increase to 60 even make the process faster and less painful?

Faster, possibly. Less painful, probably not, but usually not greatly more so. The dose is typically increased from 30mg to 60mg after 7-10 days.

and the lamictal dose im on isn't even high. I wonder if I should move up on it

You should discuss this with your doctor, however, don't increase it at the same time as the Cymbalta.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 06:16:59 AM »
Does Lamictal treat mania rather quickly? Does it treat acute mania/hypomania? and I think I need a higher dose of lamictal because my moods still feel like they're not in a stable place. I feel like I might be having an anxious hypomania
Bookmark and Share

Tags: