Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does getting tests help HA?  (Read 188 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does getting tests help HA?
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Lately I've been wondering if I should get an exam or two done. Consciously I realize I'm most likely fine - if there's anything wrong it's probably mild like vitamin deficiency - but I still get on-and-off near constant worrying,  especially in the morning or when I'm in pain. Compared to a few weeks ago I'm having a hard time just brushing off my fears. Back then, after like 3 weeks of battling anxiety, I convinced myself I was fine and told myself to ignore everything. Eventually I felt normal again but somehow I got ill again. I keep on worrying the more I wait, if I am truly sick, the worse it will be for me.

My real list is: Another EKG, a chest scan, a brain scan, maybe a colonscopy, an ovarian exam (I'm a virgin so no clue how that works), and a stomach exam... Realistically a brain MRI and whatever stomach related exams will do for me, maybe an EKG too.

I worry however that will not ease my anxiety. What if I assume misdiagnosis or I start worrying about something else? Maybe I should start therapy if I know I'm relatively healthy.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does getting tests help HA?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
Medical tests alone won't fix your anxiety, unfortunately.  If therapy is an option I would suggest trying that. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »
It won't ease your anxiety. Take it from someone who knows from personal experience and from watching people on this board do loop-de-loops with test after test after test. A yearly physical isn't a bad thing, but you don't need all of what you listed as part of your physical. Assuming misdiagnosis, moving on to a new disease, etc. - happens 9.9/10 times. Go ahead and read the posts of people who have had tons of tests done on the board. You will see that it really doesn't calm their fears - they just find something new and bounce around.

Reassurance seeking, such as trying to get test after test or making post after post of the board, is one of the biggest problems that people have with their anxiety. It helps short-term, but in the long term, your anxiety will keep running rampant throughout your life.

Before trying to get all of these tests, see a psychiatrist. See a therapist. Talk to them.

There's not really an ovarian exam, btw. You'd likely need a transvaginal ultrasound, which is not very comfortable - might I say.

Also, it's really unlikely any doctor you go to is going to do all of those tests. They're going to more than likely refer you to psychiatry.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
I'm absolutely terrified of medical exams and tears. I had a full physical and huge blood work up last year and everything was perfect except low vit D. I'm due again this year and I can't go. I am terrified my blood count will be low or something wrong with my liver. I cancelled my appt in march. I think I am moving forward with a flex sig scope after having sone blood on my stools. I'm so scared I almost can't function.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
I have a vague understanding of transvaginal ultrasounds but from my understanding they're an exam very rarely done on those who have not become sexually active. My endro. mentioned last winter I should have an exam to check for PCOS but that it was probably too painful for me at the moment.

I flare up with anxiety randomly. I'm just lying down, relaxing, and I get tension headaches. I ignore them easily enough but when I get a pain in my heart area it's harder for me to. I go thorough a cycle of "Heart disease? Heart attack? Gas? Muscle problem? Stress pain?"  but so far nothing has happened. I had an EKG in January and it came normal then, but that was before the pain.

I've had several blood tests lately but I know they can't check for most cancers or tumors, CEA tests aside.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
I had quite a few without being sexually active - for whatever reason, my ovarian cysts, even giant ones, don't show on external ultrasounds.   They aren't comfortable at all, but not scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »
Speaking for myself, tests help for about 30 second and then I begin to assume that they missed something. For example, two years ago I had a full cardiac workup (Holter monitor, stress test, and echocardiogram), all of which came back showing a strong, healthy heart. I was reassured for a few months. But the further away from the test you get, the less you believe the results, and start to wonder if something's changed.

Transvaginal ultrasounds are no fun. They basically take a plastic wand thing, insert it, and move it around to get the pictures they need.

Ultimately, a doctor most likely won't give you a test without a documented medical need. And that's good, because you will a) get in the habit of asking for tests to calm your mind and b) that will get prohibitively expensive, especially if you don't have insurance. I racked up $6500 in one ER visit that turned out to be nothing (and that didn't include the $780 from the cardiologists' later that month).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
I don't get tests, I just wait things out and I don't seem to be any worse with worry than those who GET tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Molly and LilJen are both correct.

We do transvaginal ultrasounds on virgins. A lot of times it's one of the best ways to get a good picture of the ovaries.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »
I agree with the other folks here. For those
Of us with HA, tests just fuel anxiety. I am
Learning to trust my doc!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
I remember a month ago I went to my doctor wanting a notice so I could go to another doctor or ER to get a brain MRI. I went and he payed no attention, just gave me some Zantac and told me to relax. Doctors are hard to budge.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
I have personally found that getting tests done will reassure you for the short term. Then after that something new will come up and you will want more testing or question the results you were given. The cycle then repeats itself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: