Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Doctors have found a lump in my lung...eep. Any advice?  (Read 240 times)

Offline ahrimoniac

• Rec's: 2
  • Brain like a sieve, face like a smacked bum
    • Poke This Member
Doctors have found a lump in my lung...eep. Any advice?
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
Evening all!

After last week's curveball of a nurse telling me I had had a heart attack which became a completely normal ECG blip on later examination, I've just been told that they have discovered a lump - a small lump - in my left lung where I've been having a bit of pain. Doc said nothing to really worry about but that they have to do further tests, so I've got a CT scan lined up.

Thing is, I can't help but worry! I have my anxiety in check to a degree - I'm avoiding catastrophic thinking, I'm keeping calm, but still that little niggle...docs have said it could be my nipple, or a bronchial tube, or just a shadow but I've been having pain there for a bit. Which I thought was my heart, but that's as strong as an ox.

I'm a young lad - 29 - grew up with smoking parents and smoked myself for three years, gave up two years ago. What do you think?
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctors have found a lump in my lung...eep. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
There are lots of benign, typical things it could be. Like your doctor said, it might not even be something on your lung. Could have been a nipple. There really is no use speculating! We aren't doctors, you aren't a doctor, and speculating only gets our minds wandering. It is whatever it is, and once you get your CT, you'll know! It's totally normal to be anxious in such a situation, even if you didn't have anxiety issues to begin with. Being nervous about it is natural. That little buzz in the back of your head would be there for anyone - you just have to try to ignore it and not focus on it as much as you can.

As far as your smoking history goes, smoking history with lung stuff is really hard to pinpoint. There really is no way to say that one way or the other it did or didn't affect you at all without the proper tests. Some people smoke for decades and have great lungs still. Others aren't so fortunate. Statistically, though, the odds are in your favor. BUT, like said before, if it's just a nipple or a shadow, none of the speculation even matters!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
My husband had a lesion on his lung that was discovered during a chests x ray. A CT showed nothing more than spot from living in a high pollen area. It can cause small lung scarrs. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
Have you recently had a cough?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »
Not really no, just wheezy, but coughing now...coincedence!

Good to know y'all think it could be nought and that's what I keep telling myself. A few weeks ago I was in a car when a fluorescent tube I was taking for recycling smashed. I hope it isn't mercury poisoning....!
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:28 AM »
I would welcome any more thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:59 AM »
Could be nothing at all.  Could be a benign nodule or cyst.  A small "lump" in someone your age is very unlikely to be cancer, even if you smoked for a time - that takes a long time to have an effect. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:53:10 AM »
Based on your age and history I would say the chances of this being anything significant are small.  Many of these kinds of things come back as opps weird shadow on the x-ray, or some sort of benign process.  With that said, getting it checked out is the right thing to do, keep us in the loop.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Tags: