Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Chamomile Tea Anyone?  (Read 289 times)

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Chamomile Tea Anyone?
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
So today on Dr.Oz they had a segment on natural alternatives to certain ailments, one of the ailments was anxiety.  The alternative medicine Doc. said she prescribes Chamomile to her patients; she claims nearly 50 millions prescriptions for anti-anxiety meds. are prescribed yearly, and those meds. carry issues, such as addiction etc.

All it takes is 2-3 cups a day of Chamomile tea to help curb anxiety.  Count me in!  I'm going to try it!  I'll let you all know how it goes :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chamomile Tea Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
What I always say about medication is to ask yourself would it improve your quality of life over what you have at the moment. These doctors can say all they want. If people need medication they should never be stopped or put off using them. This is what a lot of doctors on TV tend to do. The tea you mention people do use. Works for some. Doesn't do anything for others. Best of luck to you with that.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
I hear what you're saying Cuchculan, and I totally agree.  I've just been written a prescription for Celexa by my doctor because she knows how I was while on it, and just wants my quality of life to be better, but I am one of the stubborn ones who think I can somehow, someday beat this thing.  Sadly though, I see myself heading in the direction of meds.  The past few weeks anxiety has gotten a good hold of me, and I feel my only way back to living symptom-free is through the use of medication.  Anxiety is no joke, it is real, and it needs to be dealt with not swept under the rug, I'm living- proof of that.  So onward and upward I go :)
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
Well, I had two cups of chamomile tea today, and while drinking the second cup I honestly felt like it took the edge off of my anxiety.  Took it down from a 10 to at least a 5.  One of my worst symptoms is muscle tension in my back etc., and I felt a decrease in that too.  So far I would say the Chamomile tea calmed me down, so I will try it again tomorrow---keeping my fingers crossed :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:08 PM »
I like chamomile tea. I've had a couple large cups on occasion when I've been really tense but didn't want to use my ativan. It's takes the edge off of life stress type anxiety situations for me, but not if I'm having a fearful or social type of anxiety, of that makes sense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
can you drank chamomile tea if you take anti depressants? I know some things you are not to mix with medicine. I have trouble sleeping sometimes and I have heard this would help with it also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »
yes, they are safe together
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
If you want to go the non-prescription route, I'd also recommend Valerian Root Extract (1000mg per dose) and Passionflower Extract (2000mg/dose).  You can buy both at vitamin stores and online.  26 drops of Valerian with 52 drops of Passionflower in 8 ounces of water is the "cocktail" I use when I'm a little bit antsy, but not anxious enough to take a Xanax.  Works amazingly well.  Some people report this also helps as a sleep aid.  Chamomile tea also seems to work.
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
So, here's an update: I have finally decided to take Celexa again...I'll let you all know how it goes :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Possum-Pie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »
I have spent years researching antidepressants.  While most medication in the psyc. field can be a life-saving help, the research done by scientists OTHER THAN THOSE PAID BY THE PHARMACEUTICAL companies shows no real benefit from anti-depressants except for the most severely debilitating cases.  Mild to moderate depression shows no benefit except Placebo Effect (that if the patient THINKS it will work, it will.)  Of course the makers of Prozac, Paxil, Effexor...etc want the "research' to show improvement, and pay for the studies so... :fragend005:

Valerian and Chamomile help me with mild anxiety, but Ativan or Klonopin is about all that helps when it gets really bad.

I haven't heard of Valarian or Chamomile interfering with any psyc meds, but you are smart to ask...some herbs like St. John's Wort can drastically interfere with medications and your doctor should be consulted about them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »
Good luck Carrie and I hope that the Celexa works well for you on this go-around.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
Thank You so much!  Well, I took my first dose last night, and I had a very vivid 'nightmare' shortly after falling asleep.  But, that usually happens to me in the beginning of taking Celexa.  It didn't bother me though, or scare me, just par for the course.  I've got my eye on the prize so I'm sticking with it; I know things will get better once I get over these few bumps :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Carrieann how much celexa are you taking? I am 20 mg I was hoping that would work. I have developed HA and am having more anxiety and break thru panic I wonder if I should go up to 30 mg. do they make a pill in 30 mg? I hate to go to 40 mg as I was wanting to take the lowest dose that would work.
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Hi Forever, well I have 10mg. pills to which I am slowly easing myself into, I cut (with a pill cutter) the pill into quarters to start with, so I only took a quarter of 10 mgs.---doing this minimizes the side-effects.  I believe the therapeutic dose is 20 mg.?  I'm not sure how high you can go on this one, but if you're not getting results discuss it with your doc., maybe you can go higher or switch to a different pill.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
I'll be going through a med adjustment myself: Lexapro resolved the depression extremely well but hasn't touched the anxiety. I'll be starting prozac tonight. I picked up the prescription yesterday, but I have 20 patients on my schedule today. I didn't want to deal with any potential side effects with such a full schedule!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: