Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sciatica experiences?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Mamakinrocks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sciatica experiences?
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
Hello,
Three weeks ago, I had sudden onset symptoms of severe sciatica pain. It is in my upper left buttock and goes down my left thigh and to my knee. I have never had back pain in my life. I have started PT. Of course I have seen, in my research, that tumors can cause this pain as it rests on the sciatic nerve. This past weekend, there was a story in the newspaper about a young girl who had the exact same symptoms and she is  now dying of bone cancer. I am a fitness enthusiast and this is so unlike me. My imagination is beginning to run away with me (of course!). Can anyone offer their experiences with sciatica? I am scheduled for an MRI next week...which I know will cause me great anxiety. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sciatica experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
You wouldn't have sudden onset with cancer.  I too have sciatic pain (or self diagnosed sciatic pain anyway)  But I am lucky to recall when I had the onset - doing those leg exercises at the gym (where you sit and press the weight with your feet) - so think back, did you do anything like that?  Any deep knee bends?   Picking up something a little too heavy while LEANING OVER? (your back at a right angle to your legs)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »
I have been experiencing sciatic pain since last September in my left hip and leg.  It is there every day but varies in intensity and exact location.  For the two weeks around Christmas it went away completely.  My primary care doctor sent me for a hip/spine X-ray recently which ruled out tumor and confirmed mild lumbar spinal arthritis.  I too was worried about possible tumor, until that was ruled out.  Why do we HA people always go to the worst scenario.
For back pain I swear by the work of Dr. John Sarno and recommend his various books to you.  I need to find the time to go re-read them to rid myself of this sciatic pain now that I know it is nothing serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »
I have had this aswell. I actually have it on both sides, both started at very different times. My dr refised to do any tests for it because it is almost always a lumber issue. I went to a chiropractor and she did an excellent assessment. She recommended me to strengthen my core, exercise, and lose some weight around the belly. She also recommended acupuncture. I have started exercising, but I don't have the guts to try acupuncture. I have always had lower back issues. I did see a neurologist for a different reason and I mentioned to her about me sciatic nerve, since it can cause me numbness, she recommended the same treatment as my chiropractor.
I have had sciatic problems for a few years now, I am sure if it was cancer or a tumor, I would be going down hill. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mamakinrocks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! I truly don't expect it to be a worst case scenario.....but "what if"!? : )  I can't recall doing a thing....except a few days prior, I cracked my knee extremely hard, on the corner of my coffee table. The Dr. says this would not cause it. I'm doing better, but the pain and numbness is still there, especially in the morning. I just learned that our insurance company is not going to cover an MRI without more PT, documentation, etc. That may be a good thing, because I know that waiting for the results will set me on edge. Although, I would like to have a clearer answer as to where this pain is coming from. Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: