Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: YOGA :)  (Read 297 times)

Offline Sailormoonjf

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
YOGA :)
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
So, last week for me was pretty high in anxiety.  I was having continuous panic attacks and constant "symptoms" that had me all freaked out.  Well, upon my mother's request, I went out and joined a beginner's yoga class (which is pretty impressive for me because I never willingly subject myself to other people publicly).

I am extremely happy that I joined this class.  At first I was panicking because I have seen yoga moves and I was worried that they would cause me to become dizzy or that I will pass out because of how we had to move.  Within the first few minutes we began stretching and before I knew it class was almost over.  I was, for the first time in a VERY long time, absolutely relaxed.  The yoga instructor knew how to keep her students "in the present."  She didn't let our minds wonder to worries or concerns, she kept us focused on our stretching and breathing.  I felt so wonderful afterwards that I actually signed up for more classes and now am going back once a week. 

I figured I would share this because I am a person who does not like being in public, and I have many panic attacks.  I figured if I could actually do this and gain some kind of comfort and relaxation from it, then others like me can definitely do it as well.  I had such a great experience and I really hope this is one of the ways I can reach recovery!   

I even downloaded an app on my phone so I can practice at home as well :)  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
Re: YOGA :)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Great report!
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
Yoga is great!!! I recommend it to all especially us with stress
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Yoga is terrific.  Yoga, meditation, prayer, massages, dead sea salt baths, soothing music and refusing to engage worrisome OCD thinking is a great way to start your road to recovery.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline mermaid

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »
Agree, a good yoga class can literally stop a panic attack in its tracks. Have to be honest it doesn't happen every time, even last night in a yoga class half way through I started to panic but breathed through it and by the end felt better...
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »
Yoga, tai chi, and meditation keep me this side of the divide. Practice all 3 most every day and still go to classes.

Music helps to get me going.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:13:36 AM »
Yoga is pretty cool but I've never been able to get into it. It's too much work, too many uncomfortable positions; I'd rather do cardio. Nut if it works for you that's awesome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Cardio is fine, of course, but yoga is something else and so valuable. As you slowly do poses you'll gradually develop flexibility. You can start with a simple Half Sun Salutation which you can watch and follow on YT.

A class with a good, considerate teacher is excellent.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: