Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GERD mimicking heart issues  (Read 403 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GERD mimicking heart issues
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
I've had anxiety for a few years that revolves around my heart. Lately it's gotten much worse. On a daily basis I have symptoms that scare the crap out of me. I get really bad pains in my arms (especially my elbows) and lower jaw, often at the same time, and often without chest pain. It comes on for anywhere from 5 min to a few hours at a time, and sometimes it keeps coming back multiple times a day. I've had numerous EKGs and a stress test recently, and two years ago I had an echocardiogram. My dr keeps assuring me that it's not my heart, but I'm still really suspicious. It scares the crap out if me every time.

Does anyone else have this?  I'm so scared that I'm ignoring a serious problem and the big one is just around the corner.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GERD mimicking heart issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »
I get those. All of those, even the pain in the elbows. But, like you, I've been to a doctor who has ruled out any cardiac issues. I believe on a surface level, but not down deep where it counts enough to make me feel better. I also have had conversations with a LOT of people with health anxiety, and we all have these same symptoms. It's incredibly unfair that physical manifestations of anxiety mimic heart symptoms so well, but they do. Given the battery of tests you've received from your doc (pretty much the same that I've received from mine), you're almost certainly not dealing with an unknown, underlying heart condition. The next step is teaching yourself to trust your doc when he says it's not your heart, which is far, far easier said than done. I'm still working on that myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
I'm sorry that you suffer, too, but I'm glad to not be alone in this!  It's so scary. Like you, I mostly believe it, but not quite enough, especially if I'm in the middle of a real bad attack!  Like right now. It's been really bad with this pregnancy. I always worry that this time is real.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danimal_44

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I have the same issues. It really seems like you will have major symptoms in whatever part of your body that you focus on. I have a bloated stomach with constipation and trapped gas and all that pressure in there causes acid reflux. I get pains all through my upper left chest, shoulder, arm, neck, throat, jaw.
Bookmark and Share
Stop fighting and start relaxing.

Offline Heli00

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:49:32 AM »
Wow I'm currently feeling exactly what you describe danimal_44!! It's so great to finally hear from others that are experiencing these same manifestations.  I focus on one thing that's bothering me then when I feel better about it something else pops up to start it all over. Keep thinking the doctors are missing something but I know I'm creating the physical symptoms.  Also helps my mom's a nurse,  I call her up frequently so she can reassure me I'm not dying from cancer or something else lol. :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
ive also had gerd/acid reflux to cause symptoms that led me to believe it was cardiac related. ive actually had times where my esophagus would spasm and constrict. it would cause pain in the chest radiating to the left arm and my jaw. this hasnt really happened as much since i quit drinking alcohol. when it first started it wasnt that bad. the spasms in my esophagus felt like a flutter in the center of my chest that made me fear it was my heart. it ended up being caused by those big soft peppermint candies. I would sit at the computer and eat lots of them. took me awhile to figure out it was the candy.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
I get the same symptoms as well when my GERD flares up. I have LPR or silent reflux, which was confirmed by an EGD. I think that may be the next test for you to show that it really is GERD. If it is, then you can make the dietary and lifestyle choices you need to. It will be tough though. I still get flareups each week, but I keep trying new ways to feel better. Something will work for us.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: