Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart fear  (Read 303 times)

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart fear
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »
Can anyone help me wether it be advise, personal experience , or books on how to get rid of this fear for good? It's really ruining my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart fear
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »
What are your symptoms?
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Xosammy

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »
I've had numerous EKG, chest x rays, blood tests, and an ecocardiogram as everything was perfect.
But I did have an instance a couple years ago I had what's called svt. And I went to the hospital thinking I was a goner and ever since then I haven't been right. I'm terrified. I'm not affraid of a heart attack I'm just affraid of my heart stopping or going into a weird rythm and killing me. I'm always checking my heart rate which I shouldn't be doing but if I so check it it gives me a big sigh of relief if it's beating normal. I've just gotten off celexa about two weeks ago and been having some crazy withdrawal symptoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:53 AM »
From what I just read, SVT can be caused by high stress levels.

Now, you've had all of these tests that say your heart is normal. Why the heart worry? Do you have a family history of heart issues? Going by your picture - you look young! Heart worries are for later in life you'll have plenty of time for those way down the road!

We all have our own specific fears though, some are afraid if heights, some are afraid of neurological disease (that's my fear), and others heart problems.

Based on the numerous tests you've had, I'd wager you're just fine.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:22:45 AM »
No heart health in my family & I'm 23. So let's pray for the best haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
I'm a heart worrier too, and it sometimes consumes my
Thoughts.... Very annoying! The one thing that makes me feel better is that when I was on meds for a year and half I had no symptoms, so I just tell myself it's my mind.... Trying to accept all my symptoms as anxiety and just that... I feel I'm slowly getting better
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
23 is far too young for heart worries! But hey, I seriously wish I had heart worries compared to what I fear daily! Not discounting yours fears, it's ALL scary! And anxiety makes those fears incredibly worse. From what you've told me, though, there's no basis for these fears anyhow. It's like fearing HIV without ever having sex or coming in contact with a needle or blood.

You're okay beautiful!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
I've had numerous EKG, chest x rays, blood tests, and an ecocardiogram as everything was perfect.
But I did have an instance a couple years ago I had what's called svt. And I went to the hospital thinking I was a goner and ever since then I haven't been right. I'm terrified. I'm not affraid of a heart attack I'm just affraid of my heart stopping or going into a weird rythm and killing me. I'm always checking my heart rate which I shouldn't be doing but if I so check it it gives me a big sigh of relief if it's beating normal. I've just gotten off celexa about two weeks ago and been having some crazy withdrawal symptoms

SVT is extremely common amongst the anxious.  I had a full blown panic attack coupled with cold medicine use when I was in my 20's that sent my heart rate into the 210 range.  I live in the hundreds especially when I'm anxious.  I think the best way of getting over these things for good is to get professional help to give you tools to deal with these things.  With a normal work up most people could put this to rest but those of us with HA rarely do without help.  And trust me once the heart worry is gone, you will put your anxiety into a new vessel...maybe a sore throat or a belly pain.  This rarely gets better without tools...not drugs.  Drugs without tools is a band-aid.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Xosammy

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
It just sucks knowing after I had all these test done and I just had a holter monitor a few months ago that I still live in fear of cardiac arrest or something. Just to put my mind at ease ( hopefully for the last time) I'm going to a cardiologist in the 29 I just made the appointment today. So if everything comes back clean then I'm throwing this worry in the trash:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
It just sucks knowing after I had all these test done and I just had a holter monitor a few months ago that I still live in fear of cardiac arrest or something. Just to put my mind at ease ( hopefully for the last time) I'm going to a cardiologist in the 29 I just made the appointment today. So if everything comes back clean then I'm throwing this worry in the trash:)

Sammy, I hope I don't offend you when I say this but what you are experiencing is much like drug addiction.  Just one more hit...just one more test.  One more test won't be enough.  You are picking the wrong enemy.  Your heart is ok, your brain is not.  Get some help...like some good cognitive behavioral therapy from a therapist who understands HA.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Xosammy

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
Yea I agree. I'm going to call around tomorrow. The thing is I have insurance through the state since I'm a single mom and they don't have that great of options
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sammy13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »
im also young 22, and had an irregular rythym for two months... I was so depressed thought I was going to die and have to stop doing what I love, being a firemen. I finally went to a cardiologist and had a full exam stress test and even a 24 hour heart monitor. My doctor called about a week later and said I was absolutely fine ever since then (about three months ago) I havent felt the irregular heart beat which happened every two-5 minutes for two months.... Anxiety can cause such bad physical symptoms that it is hard to believe it isnt real but the truth is if you checked okay by the health professionals that study this their whole lives you are fine. I still struggle with visual symptoms that are driving me mad bu I am close to getting that out of my symptom... Best of luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »
Thank you sammy! I'm glad your doing better. I'm actually going to a cardiologist again at the end of the month for hopefully the last time to get one more full work up so I can put this crazy fear to rest
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sammy13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 01:53:57 AM »
good luck! post how it goes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy