Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Helping Yourself  (Read 489 times)

Offline lauren4329

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helping Yourself
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
You have a great list! I am going through my absolute worst bout of HA at the moment and with doctors appointments for reassurance not being an option this time around, I really have to indulge in self help methods. I've started doing 30 minutes of cardio at the gym everyday which helps to remind me that I'm healthy and a truly sick person wouldn't be able to exercise like this. I started taking a class at the gym called Bodyflow, which is an AWESOME combination of yoga, pilates, tai chi, and meditation. I drink a cup of chamomile tea at night, light some lavender candles, and have put relaxing lighting in my room to try to help me sleep through the night. I'm also trying to implement positive self talk and mantras to get me through the day. I'm really relying on these techniques lately because I have a family wedding in NYC this weekend that I was looking forward to for a long time and I really don't want my stupid aches and pains to spoil it for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Bodyflow sounds like a lot of fun!  I might look that up.  I've never tried chamomile tea.  I usually drink V8, which has green tea in it but I've had to cut that out because of the caffeine. ):

I'm glad to hear you're being pro-active about it all, though!  Hope you have fun at the wedding. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Great thread...we need more like this here.

1) Prayer
2) Practice gratitude
3) Help another human being
4) Hang out with those I love and who love me just the way I am
5) Deep tissue massages
6) Dead sea salt baths-as hot as I can stand them
7) Cooking, love to cook
8) Work in the yard
9) Watching funny show or movie
10) Try to get good sleep every night
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Thanks!  I'd love to see more positive threads here too.

I love yard work, I'll be happy when the stores start getting flowers out.  Nothing like playing in the dirt!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Yeah, I think it would help a lot of people if more threads about how people help themselves are around. It's important for people to see that others have had the "symptoms" and gone through all of the loops and that we ARE able to get better and better ourselves - and HOW to do that.

Having the board only be "Reassure me I don't have this" or "I think I have this" etc. helps no one. It's reassurance seeking, which isn't an effective way to deal with anxiety, but if it's all people are exposed to on here, they begin to think that it's okay. They get short-term release from it, but not long term, which is the important one. So being exposed to things that DO help in the long term is really important, and I'd love to see way more of that on the board.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I'm definitely guilty of seeking quick reassurance, but you're right, it's not helpful in the long run.  Most of getting better is about will power, and seeing that it works for others is a big help in finding your own will power.

I certainly didn't feel like doing any kind of yoga when I started; I was scared, I was sore, etc.  But I found the easiest one I could, with basic moves that involve lying down, and felt immediately better.  Not right away, but certainly the next morning.

Plus, I like to read threads on here and offer help where I can and engage, but some nights I just don't think it's wise for me to read threads that include a lot of symptoms, because that'll just fire up my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I like to help where I can as well, but I also have to keep myself in mind, so I generally only come in when I'm doing well with my anxiety and am unlikely to get set off by anything that I read. It's sort of like an alcoholic going to a bar. They're surrounded by drinks, and on this board, we sometimes get surrounded by symptoms and diseases and panic, and that just generates more fear. Now, if the board was more centered toward healing and threads like this, that wouldn't be an issue, but it is what it is, so I generally need a break every other day or so.  :P
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
A sub-forum for this type of thread would be pretty useful, I think!  Even reading titles of threads has me closing the page some days.  Plus I feel pretty unhelpful because I haven't experienced most of the things posted about.  Give me a thread on headaches and I can go on all day, though!

I've started trying that positive self-talk thing you mentioned earlier.  Are there any tips you have for being successful with it?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: recovery self-help tips